220 subpanel to detached garage?

Old 11-12-17, 03:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 subpanel to detached garage?

I'm working on converting a detached garage into a wood shop. It currently has a single 15amp 110 line that runs over my attached garage, across my house through the attic, through the air and into the detached garage. It seems like it would be a better idea to go up and over my attached garage, then across through the crawlspace, underground and into the detached garage. Though probably much more involved and expensive. How do I go about starting this project? How much can I do myself and what should I leave for an electrician?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-17, 06:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Most of my customers elect to go underground with feeds to detached buildings due to the look of it, but there it is legal to go overhead if you maintain a 10' clearance and use a rated aerial cable. There's not much difference in cost, but labor might be different depending on how much trench you would have to dig.

Generally speaking for this type of job, I would run SER cable from the panel in the attached garage across the house through the crawlspace or attic, then switch to MHF cable in a large junction box on the side of the house. Run the MHF 24" underground to the woodshop.

The size of the cables you need depends on how much power you want in the woodshop -- are you using big stationary tools? One at a time or will there be multiple people working? Dust collector? Will you have electric heat or cooling?