Attaching thermometer to heating pipes

Old 11-15-17, 01:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching thermometer to heating pipes

Hi,I'm curious about how close a didgital meat thermometer probe might be.strapped and wrapped on a black iron pipe.feedining radiators.hot water,oil fired.system?Thanks any info

Old 11-15-17, 02:01 PM
Received 374 Votes on 339 Posts
Why not just tape and insulate it to the pipe?Perhaps a picture of where you want it located might help.

Old 11-16-17, 12:49 PM
K
Hi,thanks for reply.I've had one on about three yrs.reads about 10 less than boiler.I think I should on heating forum.

Old 11-16-17, 02:53 PM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
I think you will get accurate enough results if you do this:

o Have the sensor lightly touching the pipe.
o Cover the sensor with pipe insulation at least a half of an inch thick and going all the way around the pipe and extending at least 3 inches along the pipe away from the sensor.
o Cover the insulation with tape without squashing it and so that air cannot seep in the edges between the insulation and the pipe.

These thermometer readings are meaningless unless the zone has heated water actively circulating. Away from the furnace the temperature of the water in the pipe can be expected to be several degrees cooler than the boiler temperature, and more so as the distance increases or if the water has gone through one or more radiators.

Old 11-17-17, 10:19 AM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
What is the purpose of this thermometer? The correct way to install a thermometer is to install a "well" with an immersion thermometer.

Old 11-17-17, 01:05 PM
K
thermometer to heating pipe

Thaks for replies.It was just an expiremet with a with a cooking thermometer that got too hot for probe.later I took the probe and wires and fixed it.Then to test it put it on boiler.It works good there.loc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: