Wiring Ceiling Fan

Old 11-15-17, 02:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Ceiling Fan

I recently installed a ceiling fan in place of a light fixture which was connected to a dimmer switch. I know that it is unsafe to have a motorized appliance connected to a dimmer switch so I'm trying to correct this problem.

My house was built in the 40's and I have old cloth wiring. I have very limited experience in electrical wiring.

I replaced the dimmer switch with a single pole switch, but the ceiling fan did not operate properly. The fan was on max speed regardless of the three settings and almost seemed like it was about to fly off the ceiling it was going so fast. I'm not sure if I installed this incorrectly, but the pole switch was connected the best I could with the cloth wiring - it was difficult to loop around the screws on the switch.

I was looking into ceiling fan remotes or a proper grade dimmer switch that can control the light and fan separately. What is the best route to go to solve this problem?

I appreciate all input and help!

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-17, 03:24 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That was a good idea to replace the dimmer with a single pole switch. Does the fan have a light assembly too? Was there a blue & black wire on the top of the fixture? How many hot leads were in the ceiling? Is it possible to trace the wiring back to a junction box or far enough to pass the damaged cloth? There is a slide on insulation available but I would rather see you cut out the damaged section.

Old 11-15-17, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
It is also unsafe to install a ceiling fan on an existing electrical box unless it is specifically rated for fan duty.

Old 11-17-17, 02:08 PM
T
Donato - Yes, there is a light fixture and there are blue, black (light and motor) and white (neutral) wires on top of the fixture. I have two hot leads in the ceiling. Currently I have the light and motor attached to one and the neutral attached to the other. Should I switch this?

I am unable to trace the the wiring back to the junction box. Do I need to strip that frayed cloth? There is also frayed cloth in the ceiling - how hazardous is this? Should I just strip that as well?

Thanks for your help - I am no expert here, but I can't afford an electrician so I am trying to DIY hence why I'm here!

Old 11-17-17, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The white should not be connected to a hot from the ceiling. It needs to connect to the circuit neutral .

the insulation may need to be repaired if it is cracked or frayed. It is a hazard to have bare hot or neutrals in the box.

Old 11-17-17, 03:22 PM
D
Pcboss Is correct. The white wire has to be connected to the white (neutral) in the ceiling. If you have 2 hot leads in the ceiling & 2 switches, one hot goes to the black & the other to the blue.

Old 11-17-17, 04:29 PM
T
Hmm, I may have misspoke, but I'll have to disassemble the fan again to confirm. I believe there is one neutral and one hot in the ceiling and I had the white connected to the neutral and the black and blue wires connected to the hot.

There are only two leads(?) in the ceiling so I'm assuming one has to be neutral and the other hot? I couldn't really see any colors in the ceiling due to the cloth wiring.

I did purchase a single pole fan control and dimmer so I could control the fan and lights individually, but I'm hesitant to try this option due to my old wiring.

Old 11-17-17, 05:05 PM
D
Don't use a dimmer. You shouldn't have a problem with 1 single pole switch. The pull chain should adjust the fan speed. Is it still spinning out of control?

Old 11-18-17, 09:47 AM
T
I am going to try the single pole switch again now and let you know how it goes.

Another question: Should I trim the excess cloth here? I read somewhere that you should just push it back, but it is heavily deteriorated. I could wrap in electric tape?

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-17, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would cut the frayed threads off. If the insulation underneath is cracked you need to sleeve it with heat shrink tubing to restore the insulation.

Old 11-18-17, 10:09 AM
T
Thanks pcboss. Should I put any electrical tape to keep the cloth in place and from further deteriorating or just the heat shrink tubing?

Old 11-18-17, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like heat shrink. Tape loses hold after awhile and create a sticky mess.

Old 11-20-17, 10:53 AM
T
I got all of the frayed cloth wire cleaned up with the heat shrinking tube and reconnected the single pole switch. Everything works as it should now except the fan makes a little bit of noise when on its 2nd and 3rd highest settings. Is it possible I need to replace the switch inside the fan since I was using it on the dimmer for a while?

Old 11-20-17, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
The switch inside the fan changes motor windings and possibly capacitors to change speed. If the speed changes... the switch is good. It is possible to have a defective capacitor but I'd imagine it's more of a normal noise with that particular fan.

Old 11-20-17, 12:43 PM
T
Okay great - thanks for the help everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: