Installing GFCI protection no ground

Old 11-18-17, 11:11 AM
M
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing GFCI protection no ground

I have three circuits (out of twenty total) where the wiring is old 1950s cloth romex with no bare copper where I am going to protect with a GFCI receptacle as a first device.

I have read somewhere that the first GFCI receptacle must have ground connection to the panel...and it turns out I couldn't put a GFCI receptacle conveniently at the first box anyways because two of them are ceiling boxes, and one of them is a metal handy box in a closet where no one would think of looking there to test/reset. So I decided to mount a three gang switch box right below the panel and run the wiring to the three GFCI receptacles, then back to the panel where they go where they go.

Questions:

(1) Since I connected the metal box to the panel with EMT, there is already EGC so there is no need to run a green conductor down there, correct? Or do I still need one? Doesn't matter either way it's easy enough to do just wanted to make sure.

(2) Even if I could "conveniently" and practically fit a GFCI receptacle as a first in line device, in this case it wouldn't offer any protection because I don't have ground from the panel to the GFCI anyway, correct?

Old 11-18-17, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
A GFI does not need a grounding means to function.

Metallic conduit can be used as a grounding means.

Old 11-20-17, 02:38 PM
G
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A GFI works by comparing the current between the hot and neutral wires. If the current in the hot wire is 5mA greater than the neutral, the GFI trips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: