GFCIs inline not working

Old 11-23-17, 08:20 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
GFCIs inline not working

I have 4 GFCIs in line, none of which will reset. The first is indoors, then there's another one on the outside of the same wall, then there's a long (50') underground run to a gate with a GFCI on either side, each of which also feeds a gate light.

As I said, none of them will reset. The last ones at the gates provided the good life for large ants, apparently until they stopped working (the ants seem to like live outlets).

Anyway, how to diagnose which GFCIs are bad? Other than replacing all of them?

Old 11-23-17, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I am not sure what you mean "in line". If you mean on the same circuit, you could be protecting the entire circuit with one GFCI.

First see if you have power with a meter, GFCI's will not reset if there is no power. You should get 120 volts between hot and neutral, and hot and ground. You will need to remove each one and whatever they are protecting and look for signs of water or other path to ground. The ant nest could likely be a cause.

Old 11-23-17, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Check for power at the first one from the panel. You need power at the first before it can go downstream.

I am assuming you have only used the Line terminals?

Old 11-23-17, 09:08 AM
S
Yes, I meant they are all on one circuit, in line. I was mistaken, the one on the other side of the indoor (1st) outlet is protected by the first one but not GFCI. The gate outlets are both GFCIs though.

No water or paths to ground.

Do GFCIs just wear out? I am thinking I should start with the first one?

Old 11-23-17, 12:07 PM
S
Check for power at the first one from the panel. You need power at the first before it can go downstream.

I am assuming you have only used the Line terminals?

Yes, line. Not a new installation. The whole setup worked fine for years.

Do GFCIs just wear out and stop working, even indoors?

Old 11-23-17, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Yes.....GFI's can go bad. Usually they won't reset...... not you reset them and they trip.
Having a GFI protecting a GFI can be very unproductive and the second one can cause the first one to trip.

I doubt you have 4 defective GFI's.

Old 11-24-17, 01:05 AM
S
Having a GFI protecting a GFI can be very unproductive and the second one can cause the first one to trip.
You're saying they can cause trips backwards rather than forwards? Really? Could the 3rd or 4th cause a trip in the first one?

Here's a related question. I've had trouble finding non-GFI outlets that actually say they are for outdoor use. Is any outlet suitable when protected by a GFCI?

Old 11-24-17, 05:49 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Trouble shoot the first one as someone already said- even removing the load wires if needed. You could have multiple ground faults and you would be chasing your tail. (by fault I mean a wet outlet or junction box) then go to the second. Hopefully the installer used correct wire.

I don't think any outlet is rated for outside, only the box with a suitable cover, and today that means an " in use cover".
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TAYMAC-2...6200/205328823

Old 11-24-17, 09:47 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
You're saying they can cause trips backwards rather than forwards? Really? Could the 3rd or 4th cause a trip in the first one?

This is if a GFCI receptacle is wired on the load side of a previous GFCI receptacle in the circuit. If all GFCI devices are stand alone and wired only to the "Line" terminals, this isn't an issue.

Wiring devices approved for outside use are Weather Resistant and generally will be marked with a "WR" both on the packaging and the yoke.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: