Weird Canister Light Problem Single Light in the Series

Old 11-24-17, 04:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird Canister Light Problem Single Light in the Series

Hi Everyone, I am very much a do-it-your-selfer, although electricity is not really my thing. I had a contractor come and install 6 canister lights (LEDS) in my living room. There are three lights per slope of the ceiling. For the purpose of explanation, I will call those positions 1-6 respectively. A couple of days after the installation had been completed, I noticed the light in position 3 after being on a while (20 minutes maybe), it started to dim and then brighten back up. When I say dim i don't mean like you would slowly dim a light, I mean from level 10 brightness to level 8 brightness instaneously and then back to 10. SO this is where the do-it-your-selfer jumped in. I decided to move the light from position 3 to position 5 to see if the problem followed the light or stayed at the 3 position. The problem indeed moved to to position 5. Therefore, I conclude that it has to be associated with the light. So I go and purchase the assembly that includes the bulb, driver (assuming that is the the little white box on the back of the assembly) and lens. I remove the old one from the canister and place the new one in. Power the lights back on and about 20 minutes later the problem returns.So, now all there is left to replace is the canister itself and the little wire connector that screws into the socket. I do that as well and even after rewiring the canister and replacing the socket connector. The problem remains. This is only occuring in one light in the middle of the circuit. Anyone have any clue as to what might be doing this? I have done the troubleshooting as far as I know how to take it. I am just a lowly network guy!!

BTW No further contact possible with installer. Sorry for the novel.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-17, 04:50 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As you said, replacing the canister is the only thing left to do.

Old 11-24-17, 07:07 PM
A
Received 61 Votes on 59 Posts
So you took the supposedly defective lamp assembly out of position 5 where the problem moved to and put a new lamp assembly there (canister shells not moved or replaced yet). Twenty minutes later the problem returns. Which position?

Have you moved the lamp assemblies to yet other positions and observed the results?

Old 11-24-17, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 928 Votes on 865 Posts
When you dropped the can down.... was there a thermal switch fastened to it ?
It would be a small silver component with two black wires.

Since it takes 20 minutes for the problem to occur..... it sounds like the thermal sensor may be trying to open.

Old 11-25-17, 05:33 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
What is the mfg. and mdl# of the cans, are the rated for the LED ,sounds like it could be a temp sensor as PJ mentioned,however that should open completely and shut the fixtur off completely.
Geo

Old 11-25-17, 07:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 66 Posts
Your contractor should come and fix this. Their work should have a warranty.

Old 11-28-17, 05:12 AM
J
Replies

PJMax: I didnt see anything that fits that description. The only thing that had wires on the can it self was the power supply itself. I saw no others but I will check again and be certain.

Geochurchi: I will have to look again at the can model but the light assembly was I believe a commercial electric t60. Housing could very well be the same manufacturer.

AllanJ: After the light began having issues, I moved the light assembly from position 3 to 5. Then placed the assembly that was in position 5 into position 3. Just a lateral swap initially. The problem followed to position 5. So I switched out the light assembly with a new one. Same problem. I then replaced the canister at position 5 with no improvement. I have not tested any other positions because all others are working without issue. Position 3 which is where the problem was initially seen is working fine as well.

Donato: Yes I did replace canister as well. Same issue.

Thank you for all your time and replies. It is appreciated.

Old 11-28-17, 06:04 AM
A
Received 61 Votes on 59 Posts
Are you using a dimmer to control all six lights?

Maybe all of the lights are unstable with your dimmer and both the originally problem light assembly and the brand new light assembly are showing instability first (or maybe both defective). If you put both those light assemblies in (try different) canisters at the same time, do they both go dim (not necessarily at the same moment)?

Old 11-28-17, 09:39 AM
Received 74 Votes on 65 Posts
I will have to look again at the can model but the light assembly was I believe a commercial electric t60. Housing could very well be the same manufacturer.

The can and housing are the same thing. These issues are precisely why I have always steered clear of house brands such as Commercial Electric and Utilitech. It's pretty hard to beat a proven performer such as Halo or Lightolier.