solution for outlet plates

Old 11-28-17, 07:19 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solution for outlet plates

I redid my family room and had to screw/tape 3/8" drywall over 1/2" drywall. It was the easiest solution instead of ripping the old 1/2 sheet rock down- The room looks good except that the outlets and switch cover screws don't reach (which I knew was going to be an issue going in)- I can get longer screws but it looks crappy- Is there any other solution for this?

Old 11-28-17, 07:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,457 Posts
There are box extensions. You just screw them onto the front of the existing boxes to space the front out to be flush with the wall. They are available in different thicknesses or you can stack a couple shorter ones to get what you need.

Old 11-28-17, 07:25 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-28-17, 11:11 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 336 Likes on 302 Posts
And the trick is you want to remove the receptacles, and mount them against your new drywall (using the box extenders others have pointed you to). The plates go on as normal.

You will want to turn off the circuit breaker for your receptacles though so you don't accidentally get zapped while moving them around.

Old 11-28-17, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
I can get longer screws but it looks crappy-
Why ?

Did you cut the holes in the sheetrock too large. There should be no visible signs of longer screw use. The box extenders are used to fill the gap between the box and the sheetrock. They also keep the device from getting pushed into the wall when used. If the hole is too large.... they aren't of much physical help.

Old 11-28-17, 11:41 AM
Received 278 Likes on 238 Posts
And the trick is you want to remove the receptacles
. You don't have to unwire them. With the circuit breaker turned off, and assuming the wiring in the box is not too short, you can unscrew the outlet and pull it out slightly at an angle. Slip the box extension over it and secure it. Then re-install the outlet onto the extension and install the plate as usual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: