Help wiring a wall switch with remote

Old 11-28-17, 12:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help wiring a wall switch with remote

Hello everyone. My first post here on this forum. I'm in the healthcare industry and not an electrician. I need help.
I'm going to try to explain my setup the best way I can so I can hopefully get some help. My apologies in advance if it's lengthy.

I have a finished basement room. It had a single light figure on the ceiling. The switch for that fixture is on the opposite side of the entrance to that room (The reason for that is that initially the house was designed with a tandem garage and I believe it was later changed to a separate room. There are two switches .One in the garage for the overhead light that doesn't have a bulb plugged into it (the garage opener has it's own lights so I don't need light there and don't use the garage switch) and one in the basement room (the one that's opposite the room entry door).

Initially I was using the room for storage and initially I installed this switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with a remote (where the remote is right next to the entry door). This worked fine for many years without issues.

Recently I converted the room to a kid's play room. The single lighting fixture was insufficent. I purchased two LED utility light panels and changed the ceiling fixture to a plug like this one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-15...FZFFNwodsCQGUw)

I plugged the two LED lights into this ceiling outlet and thought I was done. That's when I ran into a problem. The lights began to flicker and buzz. Some research led me to find out that the issue might be with the remote switch. That although it's not a dimmer., dimmers in general do not work well with LED's and that may be the issue here. I've removed the outlet. I attempted to wire up a regular non dimmer wall switch and could not get it to work. At this point I'm lost with the wiring.

Below is a picture of what the outlet now looks like. Please help me figure out which wires go where to wire it correctly. Where does each wire go on the swtich? So far i know the exposed wire (the ground) with the green cap goes to the green screw on the switch

When I work on these I've turned off the circuit breaker and use a testing tool to make sure no wires are hot (So far I know that the red is the hot wire).

My plan is, after I wire this switch, I will if there is flickering or buzzing to determine if a regular switch works, then maybe a purchase an special LED specific switch with a remote.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 11-28-17, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
That is a three way switch you are holding. That will not work.

The two black wires get connected together. Then add a short piece of the same size wire to connect that splice to one screw terminal. The red wire goes to the other screw terminal.

At your receptacle/light location...... the receptacle should be connected to white and red.

When you shop for a replacement remote switch..... you want one that requires a neutral. That neutral insures that the switch will work with all lighting types.

Old 11-28-17, 06:13 PM
K
A bit confused. You said that this switch will not work. So should i buy another switch that ISNT a 3 way switch prior to doing this?

Old 11-28-17, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
You could actually use that switch. Connect the wiring just to the dark and brass terminals on one side. Don't use the brass screw on the green ground screw side.

Old 11-29-17, 03:44 PM
K
Followed your instructions and it works. No buzzing and no humming from the lights. Thank you so much!!!! Can I trouble you to recommend a remote switch with a neutral wire?. Having a hard time finding it online. So far the only thing I've found is this one and it seems rather expensive considering the previous switch was about 20 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wirele...Q9F7DZ4TXDJXY9

Old 11-29-17, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Very difficult to find a wireless switch that needs a neutral. Most don't use one.

Here is the system I've used before. Yes.... it's pricey because it's a Zigbee type wireless device. The basic parts are the Lutron 6ANS-WH wired wall switch and the Lutron-PJ2-2B-GWH-L01 Pico remote switch w/10 year battery. This remote switch comes just as you see it. It can be self stuck to the wall or you can buy the optional wall mount kit.

Lutron-Caseta-Wireless-Switch-Multi-Location
Lutron-PJ2-2B-GWH-L01-Remote-Control-White

If you look at the top item. Then close out the page. Go to the second link and if you look down the page.... amazon offers a kit price.

Old 12-03-17, 08:16 PM
K
Ordering them tonight . Will let you know how it works out on my own with the wiring.

Old 01-10-18, 02:29 PM
K
PjMax...sorry it took me so long to respond here (parent life) but i want to thank you so much for your help. Did it exactly as you said and it works wonderfully. Just as I wanted. Thanks for you for guiding me along.

Old 01-10-18, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: