Pool filter GFI breaker

Old 05-08-01, 05:37 AM
kdolfan
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm installing an outlet for my aboveground pool filter. Does the GFI breaker have to be independant? Can I tap into existing non-GFI lines and install a GFI breaker for all the common lines at the main breaker panel?

If I do tap into existing lines (3 porch outlets), what's the best/safest way to complete the task?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-01, 06:49 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
For the demand of the pool pump, it should be on it's own
circuit.

Old 05-10-01, 01:44 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Pool pumps must be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit with a black,white and green insulated wire serving that pool pump. These wires must also be in a conduit unless found inside the dwelling. This pool pump conduit must not contain any other conductors unless they too are GFI protected from a different circuit. This dedicated pool pump circuit if with a form of disconnect but no receptacle involved does not need to be GFI protected. If a receptacle is installed serving this pool pump then this circuit must be GFI protected if 120 volt rated. This pool pump must be located a minimum of 5' away but not 10' away from the pool. If a receptacle is installed to serve as the form of disconnect then that receptacle must be a twist lock style receptacle. If a receptacle is installed for this pool pump located outside this receptacle must have a weather proof plate and box approved for a wet location and must also have a weathershield installed to close over the pool pump plug while it is plugged in and the cover must be able to close over both the receptacle and the pool pump plug.

If a low voltage underwater pool light is installed serving this pool then the transformer and its receptacle must be located a minimum of 10' away from the pool water's edge and with a weather proof receptacle plate and box. Also this receptacle must have a weather shield installed to enclose the receptacle plate and male plug of the transformer while it is plugged in.

If this pool is served by a high voltage under water pool light let us know and we will be glad to explain the wiring style required for that style installation.

Remember that no underground wiring is allowed within 5' of that pool.

Remember that the lug on the case of the pool pump must have a #8 copper conductor connecting that pump motor casing to the metal shell of the pool if above ground.

If you have an underground pool instead of an above ground pool let us know and we will be glad to explain the bonding grid requirements for that underground pool.

Remember that no lighting or switches are allowed witin 5' of that pool's water's edge.

Hope this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: