No power to upstairs bedroom light and outlet... ???????

Old 11-29-17, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry No power to upstairs bedroom light and outlet... ???????

I bought a house built in 1900.. The 2nd floor had no electrical and was updated a few yrs. back.. The upstairs bedroom has a cadet heater in the wall, 2 ceiling lights and 1 electrical outlet.. I plugged in a dehumidifier to one of those 6 outlets extension cord things with a breaker in it and then plugged it into the outlet.. Hour goes by then I don't here it running.. Upon checking it I have no power to the lights or receptacle but the heater still has power.. I thought it may have tripped the breaker-so I go down to the new breaker box and its not tripped.. So I believe the circuit is open some where.. How would that happen? When they ran the electrical they went from the breaker box outside up the exterior of the house with conduit with 3 junction boxes before entering the attic.. I turned the breaker off to that room for fear of fire.. Should I start by checking the junction box connections and seeing if they are hot(powered)??? Any advice would be helpful.. I sling paint for a living and am not that sparky but also don't have the cash to call an electrician.. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-17, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Did you check the breaker in your power strip? Is the power strip bad? Plug something directly into the wall outlet and see if it has power.

Turn off the breaker for that circuit and turn it back on. When tripped breakers don't always looked tripped so it's a good idea to turn it off and back on to reset the breaker.

Old 11-29-17, 09:37 AM
Angry No power to lights and outlet??????

I bought a house built in 1900.. The upstairs bedroom had no power and was recently updated. They put in a new breaker box and ran conduit up the exterior wall with 3 junction boxes and it then enters attic.. The bedroom has 2 ceiling light, 1 electrical receptacle and a in wall cadet heater.. I plugged a dehumidifier into one of those 6 outlet bar with a breaker in it and then plugged it into the wall.. An hour goes past and I don't hear it running. Upon checking it there is no power to any of the lights or the receptacle but the cadet heater is still powered,, I figured it tripped the breaker but upon checking the box its not tripped.. I'm guessing the circuit is open someplace.. How would that happen?? I turned the breaker off to up there for fear of fire.. I sling paint for a living and moneys tight and don't have a lot of electrical experience.. Should I start by checking the junction boxes outside to see if there still hot--powered?? Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

Old 11-29-17, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The most likely problem is that a connection in that receptacle box or a box before it has come loose or burned off. The only fix is to open up each box one at a time, inspect and remake the connections if needed. A very common failure point is if they used the push-in wire terminals on a receptacle instead of the screws.

Old 11-29-17, 10:23 AM
Not the power strip.. I have flipped the breaker on and off.. The 2 ceiling lights and the receptacle have no power.. I have tried to plugs something in and also use a voltage tester that light up in the receptacle and no power.. Just trying to get some ideas where to start.. I live nw Oregon and its pissing down rain as usual so I can't get out side to the junction boxes to check em...

Old 11-29-17, 10:28 AM
Thanks,, I'll work my way backwards and check... I live in nw Oregon so it is pissing down rain as usual so I cant getto the junction boxes outside....

Old 11-30-17, 05:24 AM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
If you can determine the first termination point for the wires powering the outlets/lights on the second floor, you may not have to measure outside. If that first termination has voltage, the problem is in the remaining circuit on the second floor. If no voltage, you will have to work back toward the breaker. If you don't have a voltmeter, use a neon lamp rated for 120 vac minimum. If using the neon lamp, make sure only a small length(1/16 inch) of the lamp leads are exposed to minimize shock or shorting. Good luck.

Old 11-30-17, 09:45 AM
Thanks, that's my plan for this afternoon.. Can you explain why this did not trip the breaker?

Old 11-30-17, 10:56 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Breakers only trip if there is a short circuit or overload,did you try and reset the breaker in the panel as mentioned?shut the power off to that circuit and pull that outlet from the box a see if any connection are loose or burned.
Geo

Old 12-01-17, 10:25 AM
I figure the overload was due to running the dehumidifier ? That's why I first plugged it into a power strip with a breaker built in and then plugged it into the receptacle.. I figured it would trip the power strip if it drew to much and if not at least trip the breaker... I've flipped the breaker open and shut numerous times bit I believe it never tripped.. I have also pulled that receptacle and checked all connections and they look fine.. Is it possible for the receptacle itself to go bad? Sorry about the terminology...

Old 12-01-17, 02:02 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
I assumed heater was on separate breaker. If not, problem is with wire or connections on the second floor or the attic. If heater is on same breaker, look inside the electrical termination box the heater is connected to. If only one cable, voltage is coming from the termination box at the other end of the cable. That termination box should have a power in cable, cable to heater and 1 or more cables to the second floor lights and outlets. Verify there is voltage on the cables (going to the lights and outlets) at this termination box.Try to figure out where the cable(s) terminate (light, light switch, outlet). If no voltage is present, the cable from the termination box to this point has an open wire. It will need to be replaced.

Old 12-01-17, 06:40 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I figure the overload was due to running the dehumidifier ?

If there had been an overload the breaker would have tripped. You most likely have an open circuit at a box or junction box after the breaker.

Old 12-02-17, 11:27 AM
Thanks... The heater is on a separate breaker...

Old 12-07-17, 02:54 PM
Update

Upon backtracking once again I found a junction box I had missed in the attic.. Wire nut had popped off.. New nut---problem fixed... Thank y'all for the help..