Add outlet to Florescent Fixture

Old 11-30-17, 07:10 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add outlet to Florescent Fixture

Is there an adapter like this
But for florescent fixtures (T8 style)? I am hanging a lighted wreath outside but the only power near by is from a florescent tube fixture. If there isn't an adapter available, is there a way to easily (i'll be on a tall ladder) to add an outlet to the fixture, or will I have to splice one in?
Old 11-30-17, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,249
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
No, a Edison style screw in light bulb operates on 120VAC which is the same as the outlets in your home. A fluorescent light has a ballast (sort of a transformer) that feeds about 270 volts to the bulb. You could tie into the line feeding the fluorescent fixture but then your outlet will be turned on and off with the light. It would also require mounting a box for the outlet and probably some conduit to get to the box.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: