Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Connect 7 Individually Switched Under cabinet tub lights to a single wall switch

Connect 7 Individually Switched Under cabinet tub lights to a single wall switch

Old 12-03-17, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Experts,

We have 7 under cabinet tube lights in the kitchen, that turn on/off individually using the switch on the fixture itself. But, we want to install a single wall switch by replacing a duplex receptacle at the start of the counter space to switch on/off all 7 lights at once.

I have attached pics of the actual space. What would be the best way to go about tackling this project? Any ideas would be helpful.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 12:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
I would retire those tired fluorescent fixtures and install LED fixtures.

How many groups/areas are there ? Looks like three.
Is there a basement under the kitchen ?

You'd need to get wiring between the areas. Easy job if you're handy. Down the wall thru the basement is the most direct route.

Instead of running wiring between the areas some type of wireless remote switching may be easier. I was looking at the available kits but didn't find small enough receivers to fit inside the lights.

Old 12-04-17, 09:19 AM
Thx for the ideas. Basement is partially finished.

There are 7 lights divided into 3 groups 2 + 2 +3. First and second group are separated by the range and hallway and 2 and 3 groups are separated by the kitchen sink.

I could run wiring only for the first group thorugh the basement but the rest of the basement is finished that's under groups 2 and 3.

I like the idea of a wireless remote. Could you please point me to some that might work?

Also I was planning on removing the ballasts and replacing the fluorescent with led tubes. For e.g, with these ones here

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-equ...hyperikon+2+ft

Old 12-04-17, 11:04 PM
Group Moderator
In this link is a single switch and receiver kit. They have kits with more receivers. One switch will operate many receivers. You'd need three. The problem is these receivers mount to a junction box. A bit large to fit into the fixture.

Old 12-05-17, 04:43 PM
No, that's just the tube led light I was looking to replace the old ones with.

Still not sure which product to look into for the receiver. Could you point me to one?

Old 12-05-17, 05:00 PM
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
If wireless receiver cannot fit inside of the light, installing a junction box inside cabinet may be a option. Not too hard with right tool. I'd recommend multi-tool for cutting through backing of the cabinet, but some cabinets have very thin backing and can be cut with just a utility knife.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Insteon-...FSi1swodCTcLow

https://www.amazon.com/acegoo-Wirele.../dp/B015E7DTW4

Somthing like these might fit inside of the light, but bit expensive. I'm pretty sure they will fit inside of the light once you remove ballast.

I have built one before and still in use, but will be easier and smaller to buy one that is already made.

Old 12-05-17, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Very nice. I saw those but didn't realize the acegoo's were so small.

Old 12-05-17, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I would try to find the source of the power for the lights are. It they are daisy chained you might only need to add a single pole switch (or two) at the source. I would start looking at the switches above the counter for the source(s)

Otherwise, the acegoo might be a good option.

Old 12-06-17, 06:41 PM
This is very very helpful guys, thanks much. I will look into seeing if they are indeed daisy chained. If so, I can replace the duplex at the beginning with a switch outlet combo. Otherwise, acegoo sounds like a great option. Will update once I make progress.

Old 12-06-17, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
They will likely be fed from the existing switch box, not a receptacle. There are rules about the kitchen receptacles only serving the counter tops.

Old 12-06-17, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, each one is individually fed Meaning it will need 7 receivers. I am thinking, it might be best to replace all 7 old ones with brand new under cabinet led fixtures since they are rusted anyways. The new ones I can wire into 3 groups.

Any good ones recommended?

Old 12-07-17, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, each one is individually fed
Is it not wired with cables jump between lights? If so, you just need to connect wireless switch to the first one of the group and switch cable feeding to other lights.
If there is only one cable entering each light, there should be one or more junction boxes all the cables comes into. It might be in one of the switch or outlets. You are not supposed to tie lighting into kitchen outlets, but I have seen it done by remodel contractors all the time, often in wrong gauge cable.
In that case, you may have to add a junction box next to the junction box all the cables comes into, then put a wireless switch in this junction box. Hardest part will be cutting tiles with grinder.

If you want to replace all the lights, easiest option will be replacing with LED lights that accept 120V (built in driver). But they tend to be expensive.
I usually install a low voltage (12V) puck style LED lights and have a switched outlet inside or above one of the cabinets. I plug power supply for the lights in this outlet. Low voltage lines are safer and easier to pull between cabinets since they can be just stabled at the bottom or inside of the cabinets.

Since you have a large open space above the cabinet, I'd say that is the best location to install switched outlet and make slices. You will have to pull cable that ran to existing under cabinet lights to where you want your outlet. But this may not be easy if the cables were properly installed because it will be stapled to the studs.

Old 12-07-17, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with Lambition that they will not be individually fed unless all the cable go to a single J-box someplace. If that is the case then you could just switch them from the j-box. Do you really only have one cable into each fixture?

As far as other lighting, I do not like puck lights. The light is poor and very spotty. My preference is LED strip lighting. It is also low voltage, which means you will need a transformer/power supply someplace, but the light is good, easy(ish) to install. Cost will vary depending the brightness and quality of the lights.

Old 12-08-17, 06:15 AM
I do not like puck lights. The light is poor and very spotty.
I install them about 24" apart. Do not try to center lights on each cabinets, but spread evenly along entire length of cabinets. That way I get evenly distributed lights.

Old 12-20-17, 09:26 AM
Just wanted to provide an update. I have successfully rewired the first group We decided to go with these lights

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I70Q01C...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This group is using 2 of the 22" in 4000k. Lights themselves are excellent (95 CRI). But they have some quirks for e.g. when chaining the way the ports are the hot one needs to be at the right.

They are too slim to accommodate the acegoo receiver, so had to install a 1-gang box inside the cabinet. Will buy 2 more acegoo receivers and 5 more lights to do the other 2 groups, but that's for sometime later haha.

Also installed new pro receptacles while I was at it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-17, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Well done..... nice job.