Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding 240V breaker to main panel, have generator w automatic transfer

Adding 240V breaker to main panel, have generator w automatic transfer

Old 12-04-17, 08:31 AM
Question Adding 240V breaker to main panel, have generator w automatic transfer

Added wiring for 2 new dedicated circuits in my garage, one 240V 20A for a new 2.2kW machine, one 120V 10A for its controller. All the wiring is done but I need to add a 20A double breaker (=2 slots) and a single 10A breaker to the main panel. The picture shows the main panel, a surge suppressor and the generator panel on the right.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
On the main panel the surge suppressor breaker is at lwr left bottom, the generator breaker on the right lwr side (with one turned OFF 15A breaker just below it, don't know why it's there and not used ). On the labels for the 2 breakers it states LEAVE ON.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Questions:&lt;br /&gt;<br />
1. Can I just add the 20A breaker on the left below the surge suppressor breaker, and the 10A breaker below the unused breaker on the right? I don't need the new machine when there is a power outage.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
2. When turning all power off, do I first turn all generator panel switches off, then generator main breaker, then generator breaker on main panel, then all other main panel breakers, then the main panel feed breaker?&lt;br /&gt;<br />
3. And then when powering everything back up, what is the safe sequence I should follow? &lt;br /&gt;<br />
Also do I test in steps along the way?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 08:46 AM
Upvotes Received: 8
Hi, the generator should have an ON/OFF switch just turn that switch to the OFF position,or just shut the main panel OFF install the new breakers,turn the main back on and you are all set, this method the generator will work as if there is a power failure and the only thing that will be powered up are the circuits in the transfer switch panel
Geo

Old 12-04-17, 09:01 PM
Thanks. Will the generator come on if I flip the main breaker OFF? I don't want to try it without knowing what I am doing:-). Also should I turn all individual breakers off BEFORE switching the main breaker OFF, and then later after installing the new breakers should I first turn the main breaker ON, then switch the individual breakers ON?

Old 12-05-17, 05:38 AM
Upvotes Received: 19
If you have an auto start gen when you turn off the main breaker the gen should start just as it does during a power loss. You need to turn off/disable the gen first and then turn off the main breaker.

I prefer to have the individual breakers to be off when turning the main back on so I can turn the individuals back on one at a time.