Outdoor plugs not working

Old 12-06-17, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor plugs not working

I have a front and back porch outdoor plugs. Both have been working fine for several days. The Christmas lights will not come on now when both front and back lights are plugged in at same time. I have reset the gfi in my bathroom, so the Christmas lights came back on, but when I plug the front and back in at same time the gfi trips again. This has never happened. Had the same hook up last year and no problem. So now I can only plug either front lights or back lights. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Try plugging the back, then the front or vice versa. If it will trip the GFCI both ways you might have a bad GFCI.

Old 12-08-17, 08:09 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My guess is a bad GFI that has become overly sensitive. I would replace it and hope that solves it.

Old 12-08-17, 08:34 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
GFCI receptacles are supposed to "trip" with an imbalance between the "hot" and "neutral" conductors over 6 milliamperes. It IS possible that individually your lighting strings are causing an imbalance of less than 6 mA but together they are exceeding the 6 mA limit and the GFCI is working properly. If this is the case then there are only two possible fixes, either two separate circuits or replacement of one of the semi-defective lighting strings.