Max cables per hole?

Old 12-07-17, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Max cables per hole?

Does code dictate how many romex cables you can have passing through a single hole? I need to run six 14/2 cables through a single 1" hole. Drilling another hole is not an option due to the nature of the framing. There are four cables running through the hole now and there seems to be plenty of room for two more. Just wanted to make sure before I put forth the effort pulling these other two.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-17, 03:47 PM
From what little research I have done, it sounds like the only restriction (taking into account less than 24" bore) is that the number of cables are not so many that pulling a cable through results in damaging the sheathing. Considering the sixth cable slid through with little resistance, I'll assuming I am fine.

Old 12-07-17, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Let me help you.....

LMGTFY

Old 12-08-17, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Some inspectors are more picky about this than others. Generally the code only weighs in where you are in a fully insulated space where the limit is 2 cables due to heat build up, although any run less than 24" is a gray area.

Old 12-08-17, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Through a single hole you are fine. It only becomes an issue when you have cable bundled together for more then 24".

+1 for Lawrosa. That made me LOL!

Old 12-08-17, 07:37 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Some inspectors are more picky about this than others.

With this I have to agree 100%. I have seen some inspectors who wouldn't bat an eye at multiple cables through one hole. but I have also seen quite a few inspectors who wouldn't allow more than one cable through a single hole. I think it would be prudent to contact the AHJ and ask what they expect to see.

Old 12-17-17, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Logically (to me), if the rule at play is that they can't be bundled together for more than two feet, then the likelihood of cables staying "bundled" by themselves in a wider wall space than the hole itself is about zero. Even when you clamp cables to a wall with brackets or staples a few inches apart, there will be air circulating between the gaps in the wall where the wire bends by itself. Just an observation, try making two or more cables hang with the same coutours for two feet to see if that seems possible... I suppose the only thing that could somehow bundle them incidentally is wall insulation, so removing that would prevent bundling as such.

Old 12-17-17, 02:47 PM
I spoke with the county and they said it should be fine as I have it. Five cables, not six going through a 7/8" diameter 6" long hole to be accurate.