Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Will Type 2 Surge Protection Device Protect Pool Equipment

Old 12-10-17, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I currently have a Type 1 Surge Protection Device installed in the meter panel on the side of my house. There is another breaker panel right next to the meter panel and this second panel has breakers for the AC units, Pool Equipment, Sprinkler Timer, and Outside Landscape Light outlet. As it is currently installed, I understand that the device will protect everything. The device's green light is no longer lit which indicates it is no longer functioning (according to the mfg's instructions). I have to replace the device and I'm considering going with a Type 2 device with user replaceable modules so that I don't have to call the electrician each time that the device dies.

Question:
I have two more breaker panels in the garage that contain all of the breakers for the house. Ideally, I would like to be able to protect everything, including the items connected to the breaker panel outside(ie: pool equipment etc.). If I put a new Type 2 device inside the garage at the first slot in the first of the two breaker panels in the garage, will that protect the items connected to the outside breaker panel - pool equipment? (I'm assuming the answer is 'no', but figured I should double check)

I would like to be able to easily see the status lights on the new Type 2 surge protection device so that I know if a module has gone bad. Could the new Type 2 device be connected in the first slot of the panel that is located right next to the meter and then I drill a hole through the concrete block wall and mount the Type 2 device inside the garage? That way I can see the lights every day since the cars are parked in the garage and I'm in there often. Also, some of the user replaceable module type SPDs have a breaker switch built in and so I would simply flip the breaker and swap the module. Another one I have seen does not have a breaker built in- does that mean that I would simply flip the breaker in the breaker panel where it is connected and then change the module and flip the breaker back on? (I have been looking at the Intermatic IG2240-IMSK & IG2280-OM)

Thanks in advance for your insight

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-17, 08:41 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
You don't want long wires going into the surge suppressor. That will reduce its effectiveness. These guys are rated for several tens of kA, and the associated wire inductance is not good.

Old 12-10-17, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. So, when you say 'long wires' - if I were to punch a hole in the wall, that would probably be 2 ft wire between breaker and the Type 2 SPD on the other side of the wall - is that 'long"? If so, I guess one option would be to connect the Type 2 SPD at the breaker panels in the garage - but then that will not protect the pool equipment - is my understanding correct?

Old 12-10-17, 08:55 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Any type of parallel design surge protection will "help", no matter where in the house it is installed. However, the true high energy events need to be dealt with with suppressors that are connected with short wire, close to the feeder source. IMO, the load center mounted ones that have NO wires are the best bet. They do take up a double breaker space.

Old 12-10-17, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Is that your meter in the first picture or are you just using it as an example ?
I've never seen protection directly across a meter.

Old 12-10-17, 11:10 AM
Yes, that is my meter. It was installed by an electrician - I hope it is right? Isn't that how you would connect it as Type 1?

Old 12-10-17, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Yes...it needs to be connected to the line side of the service. I've connected them to outside disconnects but never to the inside of a meter. I don't think my Poco would allow it.

Old 12-10-17, 11:31 AM
Pjmax, I'm thinking of putting in a Type 2 with replaceable modules. Do you think I should be able to remove the knock outs next to the 200A Service Disconnect at the top of the panel and put in a breaker for the Type 2 SPD and would that protect everything in this panel plus the inside panels? Also, do you think it would make a difference if I put the Type 2 SPD next to this panel or if I punched a whole in the wall and put it inside of the garage directly on the other side of this wall? Thanks for your help!