Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wainscoting board and batten design with electrical outlets

Old 12-13-17, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm installing wainscoting and have got a lot of great suggestions from the community, so thanks for that. My challenge is the electrical outlets I thought box extenders would work, but now I have gaps if you look at it from different angles. The wainscoting is installed so starting over will be challenging, but I can remove the different panels where electrical outlets are installed. I've attached pictures for reference, and try not to laugh to hard as this is the first time I'm doing any kind of work like this. I still have a lot of sanding and painting to go but these outlets are really bothering me and not sure how to fix it. The walls will be eventually white so I can I hide this I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
Normally you lay out the wainscotting in a manner that the receptacles don't fall in the middle of the boards like that. I'd add 1x2s at the top/bottom of the electrical boxes to 'frame' in the outlet.

Old 12-14-17, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Also take the cover plates off and measure to the edge of the box.

Old 12-14-17, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
marksr-HAHA I fully agree with you. If I could do this project over again I would measure where the boxes are first and then start the work. Dumb Rookie Mistake. I like the framing idea, I'll give it a shot. Thank you for your help.

pcboss--great tip. Thank you.