New quad circuit breaker

Old 12-14-17, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New quad circuit breaker

I need to add a couple of new lines to the breaker box. I have a 50amp double pole breaker that feeds a sub panel.
Can I replace this with a quad tandem circuit breaker (a double pole 50 with two 20 amp breakers?) Something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...50CP/202495838

I don't know why it wouldn't, but just checking. Don't worry. I won't be doing this myself. I will have a professional electrician run the new lines.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 07:33 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Yes, as long as that breaker is rated for your panel. Normally same brand and tandems allowed in the spots you need.
Check the panel's label as it should tell you those details.

Old 12-14-17, 10:28 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
In order for that quad breaker to work you first must have a Square D Homeline panel and it must be able to accept tandem circuit breakers. You didn't mention the manufacturer's name of your existing panel nor did you mention if it will accept tandem breakers.

Old 12-14-17, 01:33 PM
I didn't realize breakers were made for specific panels. I thought they were universal. I have a picture of the label in the panel.
It appears to be a JA110AS. It's not the newest panel. Do they even make quad breakers for it? It looks like Crouse was bought out a long time ago by a different manufacturer. Any ideas?

I attached a pic.

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-17, 02:53 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
Looks like that is meter socket + load center combination.
Murray (owned by Siemens) was selling that panel with same model number and has been replaced by JA1020B1100S. It has 10 spaces and 20 circuits, meaning it will allow tandem breakers.

You will need this breakers.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Murray-T...5020/202253172

Square D Homeline, Eaton Type BR (Bryant), GE THQL, Siemens, and Murray will all fit in each other's panel and will work. However, it is against code because the manufacturer does not recommend use of any breakers other than their own and has not been tested. Therefore, it may or may not be safe to use breakers not listed on the panel.
Eaton also sells UL Classified breakers, which are tested and approved to use in other panels listed above. It is actually identical design with Eaton's type BR breakers, but costs more.

I have seen some panels (such as pool/spa sub panel) manufactured by companies that does not manufacture breakers listing breakers from different manufacturers has compatible.

Old 12-14-17, 03:28 PM
Thanks lambition for the info! That really helps me out.

And thanks CasualJoe and AStuff too. Your help is appreciated also!

Old 12-15-17, 06:28 PM
Actually, the Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR series breaker is the correct replacement breaker for a number of other panels including Challenger, Bryant, Westinghouse, some Sylvania, Arrow-Hart Murray, Crouse-Hinds, General Switch and a few others. If you check the label in that Crouse-Hinds panel it should list what breakers are acceptable to be used in that panel. I would expect to see Bryant BR and GE THQL on the list. There also may be classified breakers that may be permissible to use too.

I didn't realize breakers were made for specific panels. I thought they were universal. I have a picture of the label in the panel.

When in doubt, stick with the panel manufacturer's breakers. In the case of Square D, their Homeline and QO series breakers are the only breakers UL Listed for use in those respective Square D panels. However, I have seen UL Classified Siemens breakers that were manufactured as a replacement for the Square D QO series.

Old 12-20-17, 09:57 AM
I checked the panel and this is what is written in there.

Branch breakers are Crouse-Hinds style MP, MM and EP or Bryant Brnd.
Replacement breakers must be of the same type and rating.

Panel suitable for use with breakers marked 60/70oc.

Does this change the recommendation below? I'm not 100% positive what is specifically meant by "type and rating" or what 60/70oc refers to.

Thanks again, guys. Pic attached.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-17, 10:15 AM
That is old. The current Murray tandem/triplex/quad breakers are type MH-T even though the part numbers start with MP. So one could argue that they are not allowed. The older Crouse-Hinds twins were double labeled type MH/MM

So Eaton type BRD would be ones to use that are listed for your panel. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-On...2120/100140850

Old 12-20-17, 08:15 PM
I see ITE listed in there too. Today they would be Siemens. I also noticed this is a CTL panel so it was probably installed in the very late '60s or '70s.

Old 12-20-17, 09:13 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
MP, MM and EP or Bryant Brnd
Since they mention Bryant, Type BR would work as well.

I'm sure Murray MH-T will work fine and safe, but the inspector might say otherwise.
MH is basically duplex(tandem) and quadplex version of MP breakers.

I also found this old letter on google. It is a letter from UL stating MH-T breakers may be used in the panel Type MM breaker is specified.
https://w3.usa.siemens.com/powerdist...urray-MH-T.pdf

Old 12-20-17, 10:14 PM
To continue the hair splitting: The OP's panel shows file E27100 which doesn't match the file numbers in the UL letter.

From all this you can tell how difficult it is to determine the correct modern part for a 40-50 year old panel. Then you find the inspector has his own idea. Some give up and go with used which has its own headaches.