My dryers receptacle isn't reading what it should

Old 12-14-17, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My dryers receptacle isn't reading what it should

Hi I know a little about electricity but very little. I have a 3 prong dryer and I had a dryer given to me. It didn't work so I replaced the timer. It still di dnt work. So I bought a dryer and it still didn't work. So I checked the receptacle and one of the hot wires only reads about 10. The other one reads 120v. I checked the breaker and it is fine. Any suggestions I'm thinking that there is a short in the wiring. Oh, I checked the wires with one on the hot and the other on the nuteral.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's not a short or you would have tripped the breaker. It sounds like either one side of the 240V is tripped (the handles should be tied together so if one goes the other does too) or you have a loose connection either at the breaker or more likely in the receptacle. Breakers can look "fine", but you should turn them fully off, then on again to make sure they reset correctly. Either that or a broken wire or loose connection in a junction box somewhere.

The 10V you were reading was probably just phantom voltage if you were using a digital meter.

First thing is to fully turn off both breakers, then try setting them on again and recheck voltages. After that you'll need to be opening and inspecting the connections...with power off! If you don't feel comfortable doing that, and possibly taking the front panel off your breaker box, either find someone who is or call an electrician.

No other odd electrical things going on? Do you have an electric water heater? Oven? Any lights dimming?

Old 12-14-17, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Vic left you some good information.

If it's a surface mount dryer receptacle.... you can turn the circuit breaker off, remove the cover and check the wiring inside the receptacle. Look for a loose or burned connection.