Want to add a 240v heater circuit, panel full

Old 12-14-17, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to add a 240v heater circuit, panel full

My panel is full (commander 125A sub panel connected to a 100a house breaker by the meter)
It takes Eaton breakers.
As the greater needs a 2 pole, do I need to bit a quad to fit into the space of 2 existing breakers and create room for a 2 pole?

I have 1 empty 15a breaker. I assume I could also fit a tandem in there but the only tandems I can find are for 2 separate circuits ie each is 1 pole.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 08:36 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
If you panel does allow tandem breakers, yes you can replace 2 full size breakers to 1 single quad breaker. However, I am not sure if it is available for your panel.
Is you breaker bolt on type?

If you have 4 full size breakers, you can replace 2 breakers with tandem, then install a full size 2 pole breaker.

You cannot get 240V out of single breaker space because it only has one tab, therefore 2 pole breaker that fits in single space does not exist.
With a quad breakers, center 2 breakers configured as common trip and since it sits in 2 spaces, you get 240V.

I believe GE the the only one that make 2 pole breaker in size of single breaker space, but that is only possible in GE panels that accepts thin breakers. GE does not use tandem, instead fits 2 individual thin breakers in single space.