Old Oven Hardwired16A, New Oven with a 13 amp Plug

Old 12-17-17, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Oven Hardwired16A, New Oven with a 13 amp Plug

Hi,
my old oven packed up it was a Hotpoint which was hardwired via a terminal block on the back of the oven. when my new oven turned up it came with a plug, it is also a Hotpoint. I guess the new oven uses less electricty then the old one hence it doesnt need hardwiring?

Is it possible to fit a single trailing socket 13amp to the current cooker wire, this would enable me to plug the new oven into single trailing socket and use the existing wires? Otherwise tell me what solution i should be using?

Thanks Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-17, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you are in the UK, I had to look up "trailing socket". A picture of the wire would help to see if it is safe to hook up to the socket.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

IF the cable is of sufficient size and type, you will have to be careful connecting the wires to the receptacle. The wires will need cut to the proper length and stripped properly so that they fit perfectly under the screw/clamp terminals.
The sheathing of the cable also needs to be of sufficient diameter so that when you assemble the socket, the cable will be clamped. This provides strain relief and ensures the new end won't pull off.