Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can't Get Arlington One-Box to Sit Straight/Flush to Drywall

Old 12-17-17, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I replaced a single gang box yesterday, because it was overfilled. Since it was right next to a stud, I used an Arlington One-Box. It has two screws on the inside that you use to mount it (similar to the Madison boxes). For some reason, I cannot get it to sit straight/flush to the drywall. Whenever I tighten the bottom screw, it pulls backwards and to the right. The end result is that the box is flush on the left and then gradually moves into the wall. This makes the switch crooked. I must have tried adjusting it 25 times. I even stuck a shim in between the box and stud to see if that would help. At this point, I may just use a box extender to get it level. I would have been better off using a Carlon old work box. Has anyone has had this issue, and is there a technique to get it to sit right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-17, 10:52 AM
Maybe a nail would go in without torqueing it sideways (wild guess)... if the screw hole is off center, going at the opposite angle could straighten it out. Or looking at a picture of one, it appears that the plastic may prevent going at a different angle, unless maybe you drilled a hole through it elsewhere... just don't use a tapered screw in that case or it may crack.

Last edited by electrialdocius; 12-17-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 53 Posts
Because the screws are going in at an angle, as you tighten the screws they will pull the box into the wall. To compensate for this start with the box 1/4" or so sticking out out of the wall. Then as you screw the screws tight it will pull the box into the wall making it flush.

Old 12-17-17, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Because the screws are going in at an angle, as you tighten the screws they will pull the box into the wall. To compensate for this start with the box 1/4" or so sticking out out of the wall. Then as you screw the screws tight it will pull the box into the wall making it flush.
What's actually happening is the box is pulling to the right. I have it in front of the drywall, but the bottom screw pulls the box in and to the right. It's flush on the left side but sticks in too far on the right side. I have been trying to get it straight with no luck.

Old 12-17-17, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Sounds like you need to shim the left side of the box where it meets the stud.... but only on the back half, so that the box rocks forward on the right side.

Old 12-17-17, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 53 Posts
Sounds like the stud is twisted.

Either make it so the right side is flush and the left side is recessed a little, (Code says it can be recessed in drywall 1/8") or add a small shim to the front of the stud next to the drywall to kick the box even.

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-17, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
A common problem with a twisted stud. The shim is a good idea.