Lightning Strike - Two outlets don't work

Old 12-19-17, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightning Strike - Two outlets don't work

Hi all,

I had a lightning strike a year ago, where I think came into my garage through the wire of invisible fencing for my dog. Fried the unit, the outlet it was plugged into, and another outlet closest to it. I tried replacing the two outlets with new recepticles, but they still don't work. The GFI outlet I put in the garage shows a red light on it. Does that give me any information as to what else might need to be replaced? What would the next troubleshooting step be? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-17, 11:11 AM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Is the GFCI outlet (receptacle) unit itself dead also?

You need to find the last receptacle on the daisy chain that is still alive.

You can try measuring hot to neutral and hot to ground at the GFCI location and also at the dead locations and also at other locations in the garage. You could try to use intuition and luck to figure out the order of items on the daisy chain, or you cvould get a tone unit that allows you to trace the wiring back to the panel.

Old 12-19-17, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I would also replace the outlet that feed these two -- the problem can be at a receptacle that works if the outbound wire is broken or burned off. The GFCI device itself could also be fried and should be replaced if it will not reset with no LOAD wires connected.

You also may need to replace the actual cables in the walls if this was a nearby lightning strike as those create profound damage. The best test would be a meggar reading on the cables, but these meters are expensive so you would need to bring in an electrician to do that. You can do a basic version of this test using a multimeter on the most sensitive ohmmeter / resistance setting. Both ends of the cable must be disconnected at each junction box, then you need to test for resistance between white and black, black and bare, and white and bare. If any of those pairs shows any positive reading other than infinity ohms, the cable is damaged and needs to be replaced. Some meters will report exactly zero for a reading of infinity -- check your meter instructions.

Old 12-20-17, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys. Does the fact that on the GFI outlet that I installed that the little green light is on mean anything?

Last edited by jake14mw; 12-20-17 at 09:34 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-20-17, 10:26 AM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Although integrity of the wiring in the walls is unknown following the lightning strike, lightning aftermath problems are more likely at the wire ends i.e. connections with switches, receptacles, etc. (inside the outlet boxes).

The red light probably means that you still have a hot connection but nothing is proven about the integrity of the neutral from the GFCI receptacle location upstream to the panel.

You will want to prove that you still have a robust connection all the way back to the panel (get little or no voltage drop with a hair dryer running) and also prove you do not have compromised insulation (use a megger or other sensitive resistance checker as described above).

Old 12-22-17, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the help all. I tried replacing another receptacle on the circuit that was working, but that didn't work either. Time to call an electrician I guess.