Install inset electric fire

Old 12-19-17, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install inset electric fire

I recently bought an inset electrical fire and was told by electrician it would be easy to install myself. Electrician said we already have power as there is a fused connection unit and wire with connector on where previous electric fire was. He suggested a Wago connector and suggested that it would just plug into the fire. When I got the fire yesterday, there only seems to be a connection for a standard plug. I don't understand how I can connect the fire using the hard wire. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-17, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't quite understand what you currently have there. If it's just the end of a cable then you could set a small electrical gem box and receptacle on the end of it.

Old 12-19-17, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What do you mean by "electrical fire"??
Andy

Old 12-19-17, 11:09 AM
There is a wire flex with a connector on the end. The electrician said all I needed to do was unscrew the existing plastic connector and replace it wit a 20 amp Wago connector. However, I don't understand how the Wago connector works and how that would connect to the fire. It is an inset electric fire to go into our existing fireplace. We had a gas fire removed and sealed off, but there is an electric cable there as well.

Old 12-19-17, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
It sounds like he's recommending some type of wire splice. I wouldn't cut the plug off the fireplace.
Taken any fittings off the wire and install it in an electrical handy box with a receptacle and cover. That plastic fitting may fit directly in to the box knockout.

Name:  hbox.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 12-19-17, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your reply. Sounds a bit complicated for me as no idea about electrics. Thanks for your help.