Ikea Power Strips + Lighting for Cabinets

Old 12-19-17, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ikea Power Strips + Lighting for Cabinets

Hi I'm planning to add base and wall cabinets from IKEA and things of adding cabinet lighting as well as power strips from IKEA.

I'm thinking of re-purposing an outlet and taking the wires from the outlet to power the IKEA power strip. Heres the link to the power strip instructions:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_i...4920-2_pub.pdf

Can someone let me know how to determine what type of wiring i should use to extend the wiring from the outlet to the IKEA power strip.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-17, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
I have to tell you..... personally.... I'm not thrilled with Ikea's lighting/electrical products as many do not have a UL seal of testing and approval.

To do that right.... a receptacle should be installed high so that the power strip can plug in directly. There is no other code approved way of extending the power strip wiring.

Old 12-20-17, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with PJ regarding IKEA stuff. I have also had nightmares with some of their plumbing items. My personal experience with under cab lighting is that is not the place to cut corners to save money. In my kitchen remodel I used some cheap Utilitech xenons from Lowe's. All failed within 3 yrs and were replaced with high quality LED's that have been trouble free.