Al/CU connection

Old 12-20-17, 11:43 AM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Al/CU connection

I'm replacing an oven. The source cable is 2 conductor 8GA aluminum spliced in a j box to 12GA stranded copper. A split bolt (not copper) was used to splice the oven ground, oven neutral , source ground and the J box ground. Is this acceptable?

I intended to replace the split bolt with purple wire nuts but at $26 a bag (I only need one) I would prefer to reuse the split bolt. However, I do want to make the splice per code.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The purple Ideal wire nuts will not accept #8. I suggest the Polaris insulated connecotrs.

Old 12-20-17, 01:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 12-20-17, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Various kinds of connectors will work for this -- Polaris is one brand, but there are others. Many tin plated split bolts with a separator plate are OK as long as the package indicates Cu/Al compatibility. A split bolt with direct copper-to-aluminum contact is not OK. Wirenuts are the worst of the available options.

Old 12-20-17, 04:05 PM
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
The source cable is 2 conductor 8GA aluminum spliced in a j box to 12GA stranded copper.
Is this a hardwired oven?
Even so 8GA to 12GA doesn't seem right. 10GA stranded is what is usually on the hardwired oven or cook top.
Cheapest solution is using Cu/Al split bolt. This is different from regular split bolt. Cu/Al split bolt has a plate in the middle separating Al and Cu wires.
Wrap this connection with rubber splicing tape, then wrap it again with regular electric tape.

Old 12-20-17, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Split bugs are good. Set screws couplers are also good.

Name:  bugs.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  20.6 KB

Old 12-20-17, 07:51 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I intended to replace the split bolt with purple wire nuts

There is absolutely NO wire nut approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission for directly connecting aluminum and copper wire. The Ideal #65 Twister purple wire nut was never intended for a connection as you want to make and has an extremely high failure rate. Yes, it is UL Listed for aluminum to copper connections, BUT it has never been tested by UL. Other independent labs have, however, tested them and they failed miserably.