Two GCFIs on the same circuit

Old 12-20-17, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two GCFIs on the same circuit

My son has two GFCIs on the same circuit and they aren't working. No power on either and resetting doesn't work. The GFCI at the back of the house is directly from the panel and from there it is connected to the GFCI at the front of the house. The only wires at the front GFCI are B/W and ground so that told me the main GFCI was at the back of the house..
I replaced the one at the front because it was looking kind of ratty anyway. Tomorrow I'll replace the GFCI at the rear of the house. That one is bent to one side and it's quite possible something may have shorted and tripped it. Just guessing and I won't know until I open it up.
My question is...Does he really need two GFCIs.
If I replace the main one (rear of house) why can't I put a standard outlet at the front? If there's a problem it should trip the rear CFCI anyway?? (I.E. If that's ok to do then I'll move the one I just put the one at the front of the house to the back and put a standard receptacle at the front.)
My background is in electronics not electrical so I understand the basics - Just want to make sure it's ok to do that.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 02:48 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
One GFCI outlet can protect all standard outlets downstream that are wired off the load side of the one GFCI outlet. For a matter of convenience you can wire other GFCI outlets off the line side of another GFCI outlet so not have to go to a different location to reset a tripped GFCI outlet that protects other outlets.

Old 12-25-17, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I since learned that local code requires two GFCIs here so will go with your suggestion re running #2 GFCI off the line, not the load.