Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help please - i have a doorbell that was removed and wires not labeled

Old 12-22-17, 05:51 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Im trying to replace my parents doorbell, and an older sibling removed the doorbell without labeling the wires. i have 2 insulated wires each with a red,green and white wire. nothing is connected to each other as i wasn't part of the removal.

i put a multi meter on each of the wires and get a about 16 volts, between 1 green wire and 1 white wire ,so I'm positive i have transformer somewhere but i don't know where. there is a front and back door button. with the total of 6 wires that i have , and knowing i get a reading off of one green and one white wire, i don't know where to go from there. Please help me get this new doorbell working.

Old 12-22-17, 06:27 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Sounds like you have 2 wires from the transformer and 2 wires from each push button. You need someone to push the buttons to identify the 2 wires to each button using your multimeter.

Old 12-22-17, 07:31 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Once I determine what line is the front, what is the back, which of the two wires do I connect to the trans and what do I connect to front and back point on the bell? What do I do with the other 3 wires?

Thank you for your help,

Old 12-22-17, 07:47 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
One transformer wire goes to common on the bell/chime. The other transformer wire goes to one wire from each button. (That is one power wire and one wire from each button connected together.) The other two button wires go one each to front and other to back terminal.

One of the wires in the 3-conductor cable that contains power in is probably your fourth button wire. What color wires on the buttons?

Old 12-22-17, 08:02 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
I'm assuming you are not understanding the diagram that I posted. What Ray is saying is what the diagram shows. It doesn't matter which wire from the button connects to the trans. The other two wires from the buttons will determine which chime is rung by which button. The switch (button) just connects the loop to provide power to the chime so it doesn't matter which side of the switch is connected to the trans vs. the chime. It sounds like you have already identified the 2 wires (a green and white) to the trans. So it is now a matter of identifying the 2 wires to each switch and connecting as shown in the diagram. One wire from the trans is connected to two of the switch wires(one from each switch). The other two switch wires(one from each switch) go to the chime terminals. The last trans wire goes to the chime power terminal. In the diagram think of the three wirenut wires as being in the location of the chime. So in the diagram those three wirenut wires plus the three shown going to the chime are your six wires.

Last edited by pattenp; 12-22-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 09:46 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
You have 2 cables, each with 3 wires at one of the two doorbell locations. How many cables and wires at the other doorbell location and the chime location? Did the old doorbells have permanent illumination? Do the new doorbells have permanent illumination capability? Do you plan to use this feature?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: