Complete Basement Overhaul (20,000+ Watt Draw)

Old 12-24-17, 07:59 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Complete Basement Overhaul (20,000+ Watt Draw)

First off Merry Christmas all! I hope this year has been as good to you as it has to me!

I'm working to convert an unused company basement into a server room with proper ventilation and electrical apparatuses. I suspect I will definitely need to hire a licensed electrician to complete the job since I'm out of my depth but I would at least like to get some opinions on costs/what equipment I would need to get the job done in a safe and practical manner. Right now I am trying to provide for approximately 20,000 - 25,000 additional watts of power being pulled from a fairly large (1,200 square foot room). Ideally all of the servers would be located in extremely close proximity.

I have no remaining spaces on a breaker box so I know I will need a new one of those (but don't know anything about them and would love some guidance). In addition I will need 10 (ten) receptacles with 4 outlets each. 40 outlets total. Each of these receptacles will be drawing up to 2,000 watts each (on average 1,500w). I have limited electrical knowledge and no nothing about what amperage I would need. Anyways, I hope that all makes sense and I would be happy to clarify. I appreciate any advice/help you can give!

Best Wishes

Old 12-24-17, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With your stated wattage demand of 25kw you are looking at.... at least 100A of power.
This wiring will most likely need to be done in conduit... or at least metal clad cable.
You will need a way to remove the excess heat. That's another 20A load.

Will the building service support this kind of additional load ?

Old 12-24-17, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Is this a commercial building or a house? What size is the electrical service now? Is it single phase or three phase?

I think PJmax may have underestimated the amount of cooling you will need. I would think you would be more in the 5-7 tons of cooling range, but then I am not an HVAC guy. I have been in plenty of network closets and even they get plenty hot.

Old 12-24-17, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Sounds like another mining opera.

Old 12-25-17, 07:20 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure on any of this since I won't be able to make it to the office until Wednesday. The more I read the more out of depth I seem to become. This is in a commercial building underneath 6 floors of offices. My company uses all but one but I am also growing concerned we may be pushing the limits of an older building as it is and certainly don't want to cause headaches for the other occupants. I think I'm just going to have an electrician come and give me a tentative estimate and see if it's even possible. I appreciate the help you all have provided!

Best

Old 12-25-17, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Good thinking.

Before he gets there..... make a list of all your electrical needs.
You know you need 100A + for the servers.
Probably 50A+ for cooling and ventilation equipment.
An additional 20A+ for lighting.

You're looking at a 200A service.

Your building may be served by a three phase service. If it is..... you may have 208v power instead of 240v service. Be certain your servers can run on 208v.

Usually.... the servers can run on 208v but that will increase the overall wattage of the unit. If it was 1500w at 240v. It could be approx 1700w at 208v.

The electrician can confirm what is in the building.

Old 12-26-17, 04:25 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi,depending on the building service,if it should be 480 /277 3 phase it might worth considering installing a new transformer in the server room with its own 120/208 panel in there, this would be something to ask your electrical contractor or engineer.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: