Getting Wire to Window on Exterior Wall

Old 12-26-17, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting Wire to Window on Exterior Wall

I'd like to add motorized shades to four windows on my exterior wall. The problem I have is that I can't get to the top plate in that area. It's right up against a vaulted ceiling. I had planned to run the wire to the left of right of the window and then pull it in for the shade motor. The wire is just going to be a standard cat5 cable.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-17, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 246 Votes on 226 Posts
I'd probably be using wireless shades that are battery powered. If you have to have it powered, run it through the floor.

Old 12-26-17, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 240 Posts
Can you come up into the wall cavity from below like from the basement or crawl space?

Old 12-26-17, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a slab floor unfortunately.

I guess battery would be the best option. I've always worried about how often I'd have to change them out.

I've got to put down new flooring in the future. Would another option be to run it behind the base molding? Basically run it from an interior wall to around the base molding and then up to the window?

Old 12-26-17, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 246 Votes on 226 Posts
It's not really kosher to run things behind trim where a nail or screw can hit them. If you were hiring an electrician to do this, he'd just bust some holes in the drywall as needed and then a drywaller would come patch the holes and you would repaint.

How long the batteries last probably depends how much you raise and lower or tilt them. Most people leave them down and don't use them much. Others are super ocd and use them several times daily.