Dryer Circuit Breaker Won't Turn On

Old 12-27-17, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Circuit Breaker Won't Turn On

In order to disconnect power to a faulty electrical dryer with an outlet that could not be reached by hand in a newly acquired house I turned the dryer breaker off. We did confirm the dryer was the issue not an electrical issue but that the only way to stop the dryer from turning on at random times was to disconnect power to it. Now that we're installing a new dryer I turned the breaker to the on position which it stayed in however there is still no power to the dryer outlet. I tried switching it from off to on a couple times waiting a few minutes in between. Am I missing something easy here or could it just be that the dryer needs to be unplugged with the breaker off then switched on before plugging the dryer back in?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-17, 09:43 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Could be bad breaker, bad receptacle, bad cord on dryer. Do you have a multi-meter? Use that to measure voltage at the receptacle - should have 240 volts line-to-line and 120v line-to-neutral.

Old 12-27-17, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Also try pushing the breaker firmly in the off direction and then back on.

Old 12-27-17, 12:59 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
Also confirm that the outlet is not getting power before you decide to replace the breaker. You can check voltages with a multimeter.
Are you 100% sure that dryer cord is wired correctly?

Old 12-27-17, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. There was power to the dryer before turning the breaker off.The breaker was turned off for a few days then turned back on all while the dryer was plugged in. I can't readily access the outlet as the stackable washer dryer is in a closet with very little clearance. I was trying to confirm ahead of a new washer dryer installation tomorrow that the power is active, without checking the outlet itself if possible.

Old 12-27-17, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Checking the receptacle may save you the cost of a new appliance. Also if there is no power the new unit will not work either.