Convert fully switched outlet to half hot?

Old 12-30-17, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert fully switched outlet to half hot?

This switched outlet controls under cabinet lighting in the basement bar. The outlet is in a cabinet and nicely out of sight. I'd like to plug in a security camera down here and this is the only outlet that makes sense. Problem is that top and bottom of outlet are switched, I'd like to convert one to always hot. Is it possible?

Picture of the switch may be hard to see, there are two black wires connected to it.

Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  r2.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  85.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-30-17 at 09:57 AM. Reason: reoriented/cropped pics
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-17, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
It looks like there are two black wires together with a pigtail to the receptacle, and no other colored (other then white) wires in the box. This means you only have a switch leg in that box and no constant hot available. You would need to install a 3 wire cable from the switch to that box to get a constant hot and a switch leg.

Old 12-30-17, 08:48 AM
Thanks Tony, from the little bit of research I did, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-30-17, 09:36 AM
I can't tell from the photo, but if that long black wire from the receptacle goes to that wirenut, then yes, you're somewhat stuck. But the presence of that jumper wire (hard to see?) leads me to believe someone switched it from half switched to full switched at some point. Possibly when it was in a different location, though.

If running new 3-wire cable isn't easy in that location, you may still have other options, depending on what else is on that same switched run. You could eliminate the switch altogether and make it always on. If there are overhead lights on this switched run as well, that's not desirable, but if the lighting run branches out from the switch box you can easily fix that there in the switch box It all depends on what you have.

If there's an easy to access power source running up the inside of a wall or in the ceiling, you might look into a hardwired camera disguised as a smoke detector..

Old 12-30-17, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
Based on the receptacle picture..... there are several switched only receptacles that connect at that point but no always live source there. Looks like an additional two switched receptacles.

Old 12-31-17, 07:04 AM
Thanks again for the info guys. I'll try and find another solution/spot to hang the security camera in this area.