Temporary power lost breaker not tripped

Old 01-03-18, 12:09 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporary power lost breaker not tripped

I have a tenant saying that he loses power in the bedroom whenever he uses his computer or something. He said breaker is not tripped. On top of that, power would come back later without doing anything. I offered to have a look but he's never available. It is specific to his bedroom only.

So i'm trying to figure out what could possibly be the cause? This is a 5 year old condo, previous tenant didn't have/mention the problem.

Faulty breaker not tripping but not working?
Faulty outlet?
Read about GFCI, but i don't think there is one and also i believe you have to reset it manually right?
Strangest thing is that power would come back by itself after a while ( 15 minute - hours)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-18, 12:16 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It's probably a loose or weak connection at a receptacle on the affected circuit. Stab in connections are notorious for this type of failure. The repair technique is to open up the junction boxes on this circuit, remake the connections and connect the devices with screw terminals instead of stab ins.

Old 01-03-18, 12:31 PM
Z
Thank you for the info. I just don't understand how the power would come back if something were loose. I will verify the outlets and other components on the circuits. I don't think any are stab in connected but if that's the case i'll switch them to the screw.

Old 01-03-18, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Loose circuits heat up and loose contact cool down and recontact. This is the good side loose contact heat up and burn that is the bad side.

Old 01-04-18, 06:45 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It sometimes can also happen if you wiggle the problem receptacle or plug/unplug something and contact is remade.

Old 01-05-18, 07:49 AM
M
Don't forget to also eliminate the possibility that the computer is plugged into a switch-controlled lighting receptacle, especially if the switch has been replaced with a dimmer or occupancy sensor.