How do I make this pass thru to code?

Old 01-07-18, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I make this pass thru to code?

This pass thru is in my garage and goes to the outside of the stucco wall right next to my electrical panel. The wires are as follows.....3 14 ga THHN wires goes from a intermatic timer thru the wall to underground conduit to a Lamp in the front yard. 18/10 low voltage wire going from sprinkler controller thru the wall in the conduit to sprinkler valves. 3 unused 14ga THHN wires goes thru the wall into the conduit coming out near the sprinkler valves for future expansion. So I am pretty sure the way it goes thru the wall on the inside is not code so what do I need to do to make it acceptable?

skeeter

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-18, 10:49 AM
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Hi, low voltage conductors can not occupy the same conduit as line voltage,that being said, you will need a separate conduit going outside for irrigation,the remaining wires must be in a completed conduit from one end to the other, one option might be to install a box on the end of that conduit and refeed those circuits with NM-B .
Geo

Old 01-07-18, 11:26 AM
Ouch, adding another conduit would be problematic. It runs under a 75 ft driveway. However I could remove the low voltage wire and route it up through my attic to the other side of the house and then it wouldn't be to hard to route to sprinkler valves. Ok, one problem solved. So how do it treat the inside of the wall where the wires come thru. Do I need to run conduit to the Intermatic timer because it is THHN wire?

skeeter

Old 01-07-18, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Yes.... conduit is required. Set a 4" square box on the end of the conduit and use a piece of flexible conduit to the timer.

Old 01-07-18, 11:37 AM
I was under the impression you need THHN wire if running in a conduit underground.

skeeter

Old 01-07-18, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Technically THWN needs to be used outdoors. The W stands for water resistant. However, THHN/THWN wire has been available for quite some time and that may be what you have.

I thought you already had wire in the conduit and were looking at how to connect it inside to the timer.

Old 01-07-18, 01:33 PM
The box sounds like a plan. Thanks

skeeter

Old 01-07-18, 01:43 PM
Yes, it's been wired up and working for about ten years now.. But was not finished correctly in the garage. I'm replacing my electrical panel soon and I don't want it to raise any red flags.

skeeter

Old 01-07-18, 01:57 PM
I guess I should put up a board over the conduit and mount the box with the timer above it. Have the conduit come in from the back of the box and then go out the top thru conduit to the timer?

skeeter

Old 01-07-18, 02:51 PM
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
That would work and use a piece of 1/2 flex with the proper connectors to connect to the timer, that conduit and the LB look a bit funky,is that conduit glued to the inside of that LB?
Geo

Old 01-07-18, 03:46 PM
No, it is not. Just shoved in there. I can glue in a short piece of conduit, add a connector, mount the plywood over it, attach the 4" box to the connector and mount on plywood. Add a flex piece up to the timer with proper connectors and should be done correct?

skeeter

Old 01-08-18, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Looks like the glue joint my have opened up when the soil shifted. You might need to install an expansion joint in the vertical conduit run. It would definitely be good practice if you're in an area with freeze/thaw cycles.

You should also seal up around the penetrations through the stucco with caulking or spray foam.

Old 01-08-18, 08:10 AM
Oh yes, i was planning on fixing that too. No real freeze/thaw cycles here. It was just put together crappy from the beginning.

skeeter