Running NM cable Along Steel I-Beam

Old 01-07-18, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running NM cable Along Steel I-Beam

Hi,

I ran into an issue in my garage and i need to run several new lines throughout the first floor of the house and the easiest way i can determine is to utilize a steel beam that runs across the garage. the beam is about 25 feet long and i framed it out with 2x4 and is kind of built into the beam to that there are about 8 inch tall vertical "studs" that i can drill holes into and run the wires.

As i run the lines through the framing i will drill holes through the 1 1/2 inches of the 2/4 that extends past the i beam and then run along the joists to get to the final locations.

My questions are 1) does this violate the NEC? 2) if i can drill 14 three quarter inch holes in the short studs (done before nailing in place) can i run up to 14 separate wires mainly 12/2 12/3 and 14/2 14/3 NM and two 10/3 for HW heater / dryer and two 8/3 up to kitchen for appliances or are there limits to the number of wires i can put in this set up. Nail blocks will be used everywhere as i am a bit paranoid about not having them!

any thoughts or concerns also welcome

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-18, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
You don't have enough room in a 8" stud to drill 14 - 3/4" holes. If possible, I would run the cable between the I-beam and the 2x4s. That will keep the cables more then 1 1/4" away from the nailing face of the stud. You could secure them with Tye wraps, not my favorite method, but does meet code. You could also add stacker supports before installing the 2x4s

Old 01-07-18, 04:27 PM
i just checked and the studs at 10 inches tall. I dill 6 holes close to the back of the stud and will add holes as needed closer to the face of the stud. I know this means i need nail blockers but so long as it is not against code i am fine with that.

Is there any issue with say 2 12-2 lines in a 3/4 inch hole? i get different answer from different people. Maybe its an inspector issue and some just don't like it?

Old 01-07-18, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
2) #12-2 cables are fine in a 3/4" hole.

Old 01-08-18, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It's ok, but I'd try to use stacker staples as it will be much easier to pull that much cable on stackers rather than through bore holes.

Old 01-09-18, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I have glued 2x in the web of the steel and attached Stackers to the 2x.

Old 01-11-18, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
Depending on how your I beam is framed, you can also use clamps

The attachment method doesn't really matter as long as the cable is secured and is at least 1.25" away from the face of the wall. Lots of ways to solve the same issue.

Old 09-19-18, 07:05 PM
ground wires

Hi,

well my electrician liked the raceway and says the inspector should be ok with it - thanks for all the advice.

now that i am getting ready for the inspection i am wrapping up the rough wiring and doing all the grounding as that is required before the inspector comes.

My new question is if i have 2 14-2 NM wires in a box (2 circuits) does it matter if i tie them all together or should i keep them tied to each individual circuit. If it is a metal box it does not make sense to me as the metal box would act as a conductor - right? basically the box is power in for lighting circuit, switch leg out, then power out to next light. I am also using the same box to splice a separate circuit for outdoor lights which is the second run to the panel)

I know neutral/grounds cannot be tied together ( magnetic field issue i believe) so want to avoid this with grounds if that can cause a magnetic field.

Thanks and hope this makes sense.

Old 09-19-18, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
All grounds need to be spliced and connected.to metal boxes.

Old 09-19-18, 07:22 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
My new question is if i have 2 14-2 NM wires in a box (2 circuits) does it matter if i tie them all together or should i keep them tied to each individual circuit. If it is a metal box it does not make sense to me as the metal box would act as a conductor - right? basically the box is power in for lighting circuit, switch leg out, then power out to next light. I am also using the same box to splice a separate circuit for outdoor lights which is the second run to the panel)

I know neutral/grounds cannot be tied together ( magnetic field issue i believe) so want to avoid this with grounds if that can cause a magnetic field.
I don't quiet understand your question.
Are you asking 2 cables from different circuit can be bundled together? Then yes.
Are you asking wires from 2 cables on different circuits can be tied together (hot and neutral)? Then no.
Are you asking ground wires from 2 different circuits can be tied together? Then yes, and it should be.

There will be no magnetic field in ground wire because it does not carry any current. If it does, something is wired wrong (ie. using ground wire as neutral).

Old 09-19-18, 08:15 PM
maybe this is better way to explain.

1 box, 2 home runs to 15 amp breakers. run 1 powers indoor lights , run 2 outdoor lights. can ground wire from run 1 and run 2 be tied together?

Old 09-19-18, 09:24 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Yes. All ground wires in a same junction box needs to be tied together regardless of which circuit it came from.

Old 09-19-18, 09:28 PM
thanks!

i wasn't sure if there was a way to incorrectly tie grounds together that could cause an issue.

Old 11-29-18, 03:57 PM
hi All,

Thanks for all the replies and advice. All went well and passed rough in phase.

Think it should all go smoothly from here.

I have another question but will start a new thread.