Can I use two LB conduit bodies?

Old 01-10-18, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use two LB conduit bodies?

Ok, still working on a plan for replacing my old 100 amp 16 space service panel. My main service line comes up thru the foundation footing inside the 2x4 studs of my garage wall and goes into my old outside 100 amp combo meter/service panel. What i was thinking of doing was replacing the panel with a inside 200 amp 40 space panel and mount a meter socket on the wall outside. If i do that i would need to use one 2" LB conduit body on the inside of the service entrance conduit, go through the wall to the outside and then add another 2" LB conduit body upside down straight up to the meter socket. Is using two LB conduit bodies like this OK with the service entrance cables?

skeeter

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-18, 03:05 PM
Oh and i just started wondering if i need a main breaker on the out side of the house?

skeeter

Old 01-10-18, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Right now your 100A service comes up thru the wall.
How would you upgrade that to 200A ?

It would seem that the service would have to be brought up the outside of your house to the new meter.

Old 01-10-18, 03:38 PM
It does come up thru a conduit and as of right now i am waiting for word back from SCE on what it will take to upgrade the service. If i can't upgrade the service cables for a reasonable cost i will still want to replace the panel with more spaces. It is original and every space has tandem breakers and i need some more space for some RENO projects i am planning. Not really needing more amps just more spaces.

skeeter

Old 01-11-18, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Most panel/service upgrades don't require the actual wires from the street to be replaced. If they are above-ground, the POCO is usually in charge of them, and will likely not require an upgrade of those wires unless they are in poor condition.

You'll of course need to upgrade your panel, meter, and service entry/mast wires as you have planned. If you have the room, you can install everything next to your existing panel/service entry, and when you're done and permit-passed, the POCO can just swap the connection at the roofline.

Typically, you don't need an exterior disconnect as long as your panel is as "close as reasonably possible" to the meter. Some locales though do require it.

Back to your original question though, no issue with two LB's to make a 'U' between the panel and meter base. Though often the connection is just straight through the wall with a short nipple. No real difference either way.

Old 01-11-18, 03:02 PM
This is an underground service line. It comes up through the footer of the foundation between the 2x4's in the wall of the garage.

skeeter

Old 01-11-18, 05:02 PM
Well the main panel will be inside the garage so the disconnect won't be accessible from the outside. So should i plan on having an outside disconnect?

skeeter

Old 01-11-18, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
You have an interesting case there with the service coming up thru the foundation. I'd want the input from a local electrician that knows the power company or the advice from the electrical inspector.

If the service remains as it is...... the meter will be outside and then punch thru the wall to your inside main panel. That would not require an outside disconnect as it's within +/- 6' of the meter.

Old 01-11-18, 08:31 PM
That's good the hear, but I will put that on my list of questions to ask the inspector.

skeeter