Replacing a wall heater

Old 01-15-18, 10:12 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing a wall heater

I currently have a wall heater that is wired for 220v with a single pole breaker that takes 2 spots in my panel. I just bought a new wall heater that only requires 110v wiring. What can I do to be able to use the heater? Can I remove the 220v single pole breaker and replace it with a regular single breaker and then just cover the remaining space in my panel?
Old 01-15-18, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,509
Received 961 Votes on 882 Posts
Where are you located? In The United States our power is 120/240 volts and a breaker that occupies two slots is usually double pole.
Old 01-15-18, 12:57 PM
core's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,127
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many amps does your new heater require, and what is the size of the wire that is currently in place from the panel to the heater, and what are the amps on that existing breaker of yours? You've purchased a heater that is either much lower output than your old one, OR the new one requires more amps than the old one, possible more than the existing wiring can support. You obviously cannot simply put in a larger breaker to match what the instructions say.

I would keep that 2nd spot in the panel reserved so it's easy to go back to a 240V (220V in your country?) heater without having to move a bunch of stuff. Until I was 100% sure the new smaller heater was going to be adequate during even the coldest years. In fact if in the USA, I personally would just leave the breaker as it is and use half of it. This reserves the spot in the panel, saves me the cost of a breaker, and saves me from having to plug the space. (Note to other forum members: This is no more silly or unsafe than a kitchen MWBC where the second circuit serves receptacles that never get used by the homeowner.)
Old 01-15-18, 01:04 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 62,529
Received 1,596 Votes on 1,471 Posts
The OP is in the States.

That circuit may have been originally for an A/C unit and converted to be used for the wall heater. Many wall heaters don't even have a blower and the ones that do only require a few amps of 120v power.

The size of the breaker wasn't mentioned but it should probably be 15A.
Old 01-15-18, 04:42 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,192
Received 362 Votes on 314 Posts
I currently have a wall heater that is wired for 220v with a single pole breaker that takes 2 spots in my panel.
A breaker that takes up 2 spaces is really a 2 pole breaker, even if it only looks to have one smaller handle like you would have in a Square D QO panel. You also state you have a 220v (really 240 volt) heater which also would use a 2 pole breaker.

Yes, you can remove the 2 pole breaker and install a single pole breaker and a filler blank in the panel.
Old 01-16-18, 12:20 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,581
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
White wire on 2-p breaker needs to be moved to the neutral bar and only the black on the new 1-p breaker.
Old 01-16-18, 04:14 AM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 646
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Also, maybe you can post the brand and model number of the wall heater you purchased. This may help us give you a bit better information. You need to size your conductors from the panel to the existing location and know what amp rated breaker to use. Also, some wall heaters are able to be converted from 120 to 240v depending on the brand and model.

But importantly as mentioned already if you are going from 240 to 120v I would highly suggest you find out the size/gauge of the existing wires going to the existing heater that you are replacing with the new one. Also, are there any other wall heaters connected to this circuit? If so we need to know how many and their ratings also. If there are other 240v heaters on this circuit you can't change over the breaker etc. You may have to run a dedicated line for this 120v heater then.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: