Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

3 wire 240V male table saw plug into 4 wire 240V stove receptacle

Old 01-16-18, 02:13 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

For Christmas hosting, I installed a stove in my basement workshop. I ran 4 wire (2 hot, neutral, ground) from the workshop to the panel, installed a 50 amp breaker and stove receptacle. The hosting was well served by this extra food preparation set-up.

Sadly I had to remove my table saw 220V, 20 amp breaker because of space issues in the panel.

My question is, can I wire my three wire 220V table saw into the new stove receptacle. I bought a four post stove plug for the task and have it in my mind that the neutral spade is simply removed from the fitting. I am not worried about the 50 amp breaker not protecting the table saw as the saw is used for very light duty only.

I am seeking advice on this matter. With thanks. John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-18, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I am not worried about the 50 amp breaker not protecting the table saw as the saw is used for very light duty only.
You need to be worried. You could have a catastrophe if the saw wiring or motor shorted. You need to dedicate that circuit to one appliance or the other.

Your electrical service is 120/240v.

Old 01-16-18, 04:07 PM
L
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
It will work as you described, but probably not safe unless the saw has a internal fuse or breaker.
It will be safer to install a small sub panel. Run 50A to the sub panel and install both 50A and 20A breakers in it.

Old 01-16-18, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
I would add a subpanel with two circuit breakers off the 50/amp cable.

Old 01-16-18, 05:20 PM
G
thank you. A good and safe solution. Appreciated.
John

Old 01-16-18, 05:36 PM
G
agreed, thank you for the warning and advice. Sub panel works for me.
John

Old 01-22-18, 02:17 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
While it might be damaging to the table saw with just the right amount of breakage that caused some ultra rare overcurrent between 30 and 50 amps, this is little risk (I've never heard of it), and this type of multi-usage for receptacles is done very often, and is not against the Code, as the breaker is officially there to protect the premises wiring and not the machine, except for possibly some legalese in the official listing instructions.

Tens of thousands of 20A welding and plasma-cutting machines (even for hobbiests) are plugged into 50A "welding machine circuits." Most of these 20A machines even come with a 50A plug because that is the common plug available. It's also quite common that they are adapted into 50A range and 30A dryer receptacles, exactly as you described with the neutral pin not installed in the plug.

Another tens of thousands of 20A air compressors and table saws are adapted, especially into commonly found 30A dryer receptacles in garages.

Sure, a subpanel is great, but I don't want the OP thinking he HAS to do it OR ELSE.

Now, all that said, is the OP aware of tandem breakers that can make more space in your panel if it isn't already using them? Many panels are designed to accept them.

Old 01-22-18, 08:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A fused disconnect might be another route.