Conduit/drywall/NMB Question

Old 01-16-18, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Conduit/drywall/NMB Question

I have an attached finished garage (drywall on walls/ceilings). The ceiling height is 92".

I would like to install additional light fixtures in my garage using one of the already exposed outlets on a ceiling. All my current wiring is 12-2 NMB. All in ceiling with no conduit. All outlets are installed on the ceiling as well. I would like to run my line from one of the outlets.

Question is, for the purposes of the light fixture and the light switch, I want to cut the drywall and recess them so they dont stick out. Can I have the wire so that there is a hole right about a feet or so before the light switch (same goes for the light fixture box in the ceiling), just far away enough so that it bends easily, go inside the drywall, and go into the box and then seal around the cable with some joint compound?

OR

Do I need to use conduit in any part of this circuit and if so what guidelines should I use?

I could run all the expose cabling in the ceiling and there will be no cables present on the walls, but I do have to have multiple holes and romex running into the hole from the those "point of entry" areas.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-18, 05:34 AM
Just bumping this up, hope someone can chime in.

Old 01-17-18, 07:54 AM
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
You are not to run NM cable on the surface of drywall. Wire needs to be within the wall cavity or you need to use surface mounted conduit or wiremold to protect the wiring to surface boxes.

Old 01-17-18, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by pattenp View Post
You are not to run NM cable on the surface of drywall. Wire needs to be within the wall cavity or you need to use surface mounted conduit or wiremold to protect the wiring to surface boxes.
I am not though. I am proposing to make a hole on the "ceiling" and run the cable down between studs to the switch. The only exposed cable will be on the ceiling.

So it goes like this:

1) Run a cable from the LINE side, receptacle to the light fixture box. This cable is stapled to the ceiling, exposed.
2) Make a hole around the light fixture box, on ceiling, run the cable inside to the box.
3) Make another hole around the box (or reuse the same hole) and run another cable, again on the ceiling, to where ceiling meets the wall.
4) Make a hole on the ceiling, run the cable down between studs into the light switch.

Old 01-17-18, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It would be up to the inspector if this allowed, but my my interpretation of the code your proposal is not allowed.

Old 01-17-18, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
It would be up to the inspector if this allowed, but my my interpretation of the code your proposal is not allowed.
But you guys said running NMB on a garage ceiling naked is allowed as long as its not within reach? I'm confused here.

I am not having even an inch of exposed cable on a wall. Its all on ceiling and goes recess with holes.

Old 01-17-18, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've said it CAN be allowed, which is at the discretion of the inspector. Per word of the code NM cable must always be protected from damage and supported. These are subjective terms which leaves it up to an enforcement issue. Many inspectors are willing to allow exposed cable above normal working height with the assumption that it is unlikely to be damaged up that high.

Old 01-17-18, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
We've said it CAN be allowed, which is at the discretion of the inspector. Per word of the code NM cable must always be protected from damage and supported. These are subjective terms which leaves it up to an enforcement issue. Many inspectors are willing to allow exposed cable above normal working height with the assumption that it is unlikely to be damaged up that high.
Well, I am not selling my house after putting so much work into it and will probably die in it and to be honest with you there is SO MUCH other stuff that is in violation of NEC and other regulations done by previous owners that this will be nothing

The main question I had wasnt actually running this cable naked, the main question was the part where I have to make 2-3 holes where the cable goes in/comes out.

For the record, there are already 3 distinct NMB cables in the garage that simply runs on the ceiling and exits upstairs via a hole - same approach.

Old 01-17-18, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Why exactly aren't you fishing the cables behind the drywall in the ceiling? Are there floor joists and living space above such that you'd have to drill through floor joists? Even then you could use a long flexible drill bit and probably get away with making two or three holes in the sheetrock that need patching.

Old 01-17-18, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes NM can pass through holes in drywall. You can seal around it with caulk, joint compound, foam.

Old 01-17-18, 09:02 AM
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
I didn't say anywhere that running it on the ceiling exposed was not allowed. Code is very subjective because of the subject to damage interpretation. Code allows NM to be exposed if surface mounted or mounted along running boards as long as it's not subject to damage. If interpreted as being subject to damage then it needs to be in the ceiling or wall or within conduit. Inspectors look at it differently. Most likely you're okay with the surface mounted NM on the ceiling but if you're worry about it meeting local requirements you need to check with your local inspection department.

I should have refreshed the webpage. ipbrooks said the same thing back in post #7. I'm slow on my phone.

Old 01-17-18, 09:21 AM
The ceiling bit is up to interpretation. But you said you were going to be doing this hole-into-sheetrock near a light switch. Unless that light switch is on the ceiling, this is not so open to interpretation. That short length of NM is not protected from damage. IMHO this is a ridiculous way to wire anything. I can understand not wanting to fish the wires. Why not just put in surface mount conduit? It's cheap, safe, and it looks cool. More importantly it's super easy to add stuff later.

Well, I am not selling my house after putting so much work into it and will probably die in it
Maybe sooner than you think!

Old 01-17-18, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by core View Post
The ceiling bit is up to interpretation. But you said you were going to be doing this hole-into-sheetrock near a light switch. Unless that light switch is on the ceiling, this is not so open to interpretation. That short length of NM is not protected from damage. IMHO this is a ridiculous way to wire anything. I can understand not wanting to fish the wires. Why not just put in surface mount conduit? It's cheap, safe, and it looks cool. More importantly it's super easy to add stuff later.

Maybe sooner than you think!
Why not put surface mount conduit is because I have already so much cable on the ceiling and I am so OCD about everything looking clean and uniform, I dont want 1 conduit there sticking out otherwise I would have done it

I know what I wrote about making a hole near the switch but I now realize I dont need to. I can make the hole up by the ceiling near the stud and run the cable alongside of the stud all the way down to the switch. So the only cable exposed is on the ceiling.

If I could redo the entire wiring, I would do conduits. I m not lazy (you can clearly tell from the work I do myself), it's just not going to look good if 2% of the cable is in conduit and 98% is exposed (and I m not exaggerating when I say there is a ton of exposed cable).

Old 01-17-18, 01:41 PM
I don't recall if you mentioned if it's finished above the garage. I'm assuming it is as there would be no reason not to run it behind the drywall if it's unfinished above. If it's unfinished and you have access, all it would take is potentially drilling a few holes through joists to run the cable and you don't have to worry about it.

Old 01-17-18, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't recall if you mentioned if it's finished above the garage. I'm assuming it is as there would be no reason not to run it behind the drywall if it's unfinished above. If it's unfinished and you have access, all it would take is potentially drilling a few holes through joists to run the cable and you don't have to worry about it.
Exactly what I was proposing in Post #9. Guess it got overlooked.

Old 01-17-18, 02:38 PM
it's just not going to look good if 2% of the cable is in conduit and 98% is exposed

That's true. One big mess looks a lot better than two little ones.