GFCI mayhem

Old 01-17-18, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI mayhem

I've been chasing down GFCI issues since I moved into my house, the last owner appears to have been a quick-fix type and I'm having to make things right.

Issue 1: The bathroom circuit has a pigtail on it that powers the dining room receptacles as well as basement lighting. The old GFCI died, and I placed a new GFCI in each bathroom in independent mode (nothing hooked in LOAD) as the girlfriend was always tripping the old GFCI with her hair dryer -- I believe it's because of the piggyback connection. Should I take the pigtail off and put it into a new circuit? I have two blank panels I can use in the breaker.

Issue 2: My kitchen circuit has two receptacles and isn't hooked to anything else, but the GFCI keeps tripping instantly when I put the other receptacle on its LOAD and it will not reset. I tried a different GFCI and had the same result. What could be tripping it? I'm thinking the last owner hammered a nail into the wiring when he redid the kitchen, I have confirmed the wires are in the correct terminals.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-18, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,046 Votes on 970 Posts
By today's code.... the bathroom receptacle needs to be on its own circuit. Can be tough to do in an older home. If you can get to it.... a new circuit is definitely recommended.

If your GFI is fine until a load is connected..... the problem is in the load circuit. You'd need to check the load wires for a short. Disconnect them from the GFI and using an ohmmeter.... check from the white wire to ground and the black wire to ground. Neither should show any continuity.

Old 01-18-18, 09:59 AM
A new circuit for the piggybacked connection is possible to do without much trouble, I was planning on removing an unused 240v circuit so I can do it at the same time.

I'll get to the wire continuity checking this week, I think you're right about the load wire being suspect. Thanks!

Old 01-18-18, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
the wires are in the correct terminals.
I hope that doesn't mean this is using the push connections on the back? If it's the kind that you insert and then tighten the screw, that's ok, but the ones that use a spring connection should be transferred to the side terminals.

Old 01-18-18, 11:45 AM
@GunGuy45

I actually don't like the spring connection terminals, I've had a few outlets that were that way and they were a pain the undo. I normally get the outlets that have you screw them into the back, or I loop around the screws on the side.

Old 01-18-18, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ok, just checking..............................

Old 01-22-18, 03:21 PM
@Pjmax

Tried what you suggested, I do have continuity on the LOAD neutral wire. I take it this is a sign that the wire is damaged, and its gotta go?

Old 01-22-18, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,046 Votes on 970 Posts
Continuity measured from neutral to ground is a problem. Before I condemned the wiring.... I would make sure there was nothing else on the load side that could cause the problem..... like the neutral side of the receptacle hitting the box.

Other then that..... it indicates a short in the cable. A nail.... a distinct possibility.