Outlets on different floors, same circuit

Old 01-18-18, 07:04 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Outlets on different floors, same circuit

I pulled a run of 14/2 for a GFCI protected outlet on the rear of my house through the basement ceiling and to a single outlet just below the main panel, which is where I will be installing the GFCI receptacle. This outlet was installed before I bought the home and is the only outlet on this circuit so I figured it made sense to tie into it rather than taking up another space in the panel. I didn't realize until this evening how many other outlets and lights are on the circuit I just wired my new garage and mudroom off of, and I'd like to go ahead and separate the new work. Rather than pulling a home run to the panel and taking up another slot, I'd prefer to simply tie into this single outlet below the panel. Now to my question...is it okay to have a single outlet in the basement on the same circuit as the lights and outlets on the 1st floor and opposite side of the house? Even if it isn't against code, would it be better to just pull the cable into the panel and install another breaker? Only the rear outdoor outlet would be on the load side obviously.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-18, 10:45 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
Unless you're out of breaker spaces, I don't see any reason to not buy a $6 breaker and put it on it's own circuit.

As far as I know, there's no requirement for the under-panel receptacle to be on its own circuit, but why bother?

Old 01-19-18, 10:53 AM
M
Unless you're out of breaker spaces, I don't see any reason to not buy a $6 breaker and put it on it's own circuit.
I'm pushing it, and a few of them are tandem breakers so I'm not even sure it's currently up to code.

As far as I know, there's no requirement for the under-panel receptacle to be on its own circuit, but why bother?
I realize it isn't a requirement. My question was would it be ridiculous to take up a space in the panel for only two outlets. And if I tied into this 2-outlet circuit, would it be ridiculous to have an outlet in the basement on the same circuit as an outlet by the back door on the same circuit as my garage and mudroom outlets and lights on the floor above on the opposite side of the home.

Old 01-20-18, 10:09 AM
Received 67 Votes on 63 Posts
It would make sense to connect up to the existing outlet if you want ,no real need for a new breaker however all outlets an unfinished basement must be GFCI protected not necessarily the other outlets in the mud room etc.
Geo

Last edited by pcboss; 01-23-18 at 06:36 PM. Reason: unfinished
Old 01-22-18, 06:01 AM
M
all outlets in the basement must be GFCI protected
That's news to me. When did this change?

Old 01-23-18, 06:12 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
That's news to me. When did this change?

I think that requirement for unfinished basements has been in effect at least 20 years.

Old 01-24-18, 06:24 AM
M
I think that requirement for unfinished basements has been in effect at least 20 years.
I failed to notice you said "unfinished". My basement is finished. Whew.