What type/brand of breaker?

Old 01-19-18, 01:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type/brand of breaker?

Hey guys, I need to know what brand of breaker will fit this box.

Thanks.

Name:  IMG_20180118_200727.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  87.3 KBName:  IMG_20171219_215915.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  88.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-18, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
It takes a Murray breaker although GE will also fit.
An electrical inspector will want to see the same brand as the box.

Old 01-19-18, 03:48 AM
Use Murray type MP breakers (meaning MP-T, etc). Siemens owns Murray and the Siemens QP breakers are made on the same line and are identical in all respects except for the sticker and the UL listing. It should not be hard at all to locate ones with the proper Murray sticker on them though.

Old 01-19-18, 09:41 AM
J
Thanks everyone. Murray breakers are difficult to find, but I may have found some.

Old 01-21-18, 11:34 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Thanks everyone. Murray breakers are difficult to find, but I may have found some.

Some Lowes stores stock them. Strangely, Murray Breakers are more expensive than Siemens breakers.

Old 01-21-18, 01:50 PM
L
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
Murray breakers are difficult to find, but I may have found some.
If you cannot find Murray, Siemens will work fine. It is the identical breaker. Only possible issue is with the inspector, but if you are not getting it inspected no problem.
If you are getting it inspected, look for Murry on-line or ask Siemens for a letter confirming they are the same.

Siemens acquired Murray and they no longer manufacture old Murray breakers. Instead they just re-labeled Siemens breakers as Murray.

You could also get a Eaton UL Classified breakers.
They are identical to Type BR breakers in design, but has been classified to be compatible with Murray and most other breakers of same style.

Old 01-23-18, 05:58 PM
You could also get a Eaton UL Classified breakers.
They are identical to Type BR breakers in design, but has been classified to be compatible with Murray and most other breakers of same style.

I am pretty sure that the label inside the panel door also lists Bryant BR breakers and GE THQL breakers as acceptable. If I am right and this is the case, you can also use an Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR breaker or as has already been mentioned, a GE THQL breaker..

Old 01-23-18, 08:26 PM
A
Received 39 Votes on 35 Posts
Joe - This looks like the panel was made just after Siemens took over. Just lists MP breaker types but still has old panel part number.

Old 01-24-18, 06:35 AM
Joe - This looks like the panel was made just after Siemens took over. Just lists MP breaker types but still has old panel part number.

That could be. I debated when looking at the pictures. The pictures and breakers looked older than what the panel apparently is. I also noticed that the name Arrow-Hart was missing so I knew it wasn't the old Murray. It's always best to read the label and follow what it says and that makes me wonder, what was the point of the OP's first post?

Old 01-24-18, 02:54 PM
A
Received 39 Votes on 35 Posts
Everything assumes you are familiar with the brands. The breakers don't have anything on the front other than "MP-T" which is meaningless to most. You have to pull the breaker and then see on the side of it there is a label showing "Murray". That assumes the correct ones were used in the first place. Reading the panel label should at least point you in the direction of Murray.

It was nice when the old Murray/Crouse-Hinds/Arrow-Hart labels listed Bryant and Westinghouse. But go to the big box store and ask for Bryant or Westinghouse breakers today and you most likely you won't get very far.

Old 01-24-18, 03:34 PM
L
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
It would be real nice if the load center manufacturers come together and set some sort of standard.
All of the major load center manufactures pretty much follows the same standard design and actually fits in each other's load center. Yet, they had to make us put only their brand breaker in the load center.

Old 01-25-18, 03:08 AM
The breakers don't have anything on the front other than "MP-T" which is meaningless to most.

I would submit that "MP-T" is infinitely more meaningful to a guy going to the big box store looking for one, rather than "oh it's the Murray, not the old Murray, the one after ABC was XYZ and then Siemens blah blah".

Type MP means MP. "Murray" requires "backstory and fluff" as someone around here would put it.

Old 01-25-18, 09:45 AM
But go to the big box store and ask for Bryant or Westinghouse breakers today and you most likely you won't get very far.

I think that is due to the big box stores hiring warm bodies rather than looking for qualifications when hiring. It's all about the box stores not being willing to pay for knowledgeable employees and choosing to hire anyone who is willing to work cheap. Anyone with a real knowledge of the industry would immediately direct the customer to Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR series breakers which are the correct replacement for both Bryant and Westinghouse breakers.