24 hr battery charger timer - OLD!

Old 01-22-18, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
24 hr battery charger timer - OLD!

Ok, so since my favorite battery charger got fried, I am back to using my grandpa's ancient dinosaur (probably circa 1950) one that is on 2 wheels, with the handle so that you can drag around... and an internal cooling fan. The leads were SO BAD... I ended up buying some cheap battery cables, cut the + & - ends off one end, stripped them, wired them up, now I have nice new cables for it!

But the next thing I would LOVE to replace is the timer. These parts are so ancient and obsolete that I'm not sure where to even start looking. Google searches have only turned up this part, (Christie 581199-005 Battery Charger 24 Hour Timer | Bullseye Industrial Sales) which isn't very close... other than its shape and approximate size.

The timer i am looking for doesn't have the threaded lock nut as the means to attach it. I really don't know what holds it onto the face of the charger yet. And I'm also not sure if it is simply a timer, or if it also is a rheostat... since it has "fast" and "slow" written on the case. (Fast for when you turn it completely clockwise.) And I think it used to have an arrow position indicator or something behind the knob, both of which are broken off and long gone.

So any ideas on where to look for old obsolete electrical parts for something like this? Any thoughts on if it is simply a timer, or a special type of variable amperage timer?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
If it only connects with two wires.... it's just a timer.

My roll around charger has a hi/low charging switch and a timer. It was a 2 hour built in. That one went south. I put in a two hour spring wound timer in its place. They come in 1 hour, 2 hour, 6 hour and 12 hour. Don't think I've ever seen one of them in 24 hour.

This is a 6 hour one.... just as an example. They're available from many places.
1000bulbs.com/product/timer

While looking around I found this one. I could have gotten it to fit in my charger.
Century tool_Mechanical_Timer_With_Knob_120_Minute

Old 01-22-18, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
I will have to take a picture of it next time I have it apart. The timer part looks a lot like the Christie 581199-005 part... but this one is just a bakelite canister, about 2" in diameter and 1 1/2" thick and yes, I think it just has 2 wires of the back of it under 2 screws. My part is a lot older, I assume. I'm guessing 1950s.

Old 01-22-18, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe I could retrofit a timer like this... https://www.tesstools.net/611245_Ass...r_p/611245.htm

Will look into it.