Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need some assistance in wiring 4 recessed lights to an existing switch.

Old 01-23-18, 08:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am looking to install 4 recessed lights in my bedroom. There is insulation up there, so I will make sure I buy the correct cans, possibly LEDS. I have a switch in the room, which currently controls an outlet. I would like to make that outlet HOT all the time and use the put the switch for the lights in there. So, here are the questions.
1) How can I make the outlet stay on all the time that is currently used by the switch. I'll get a dimmer switch for the lights.
2) Using 14/2 cable, how does one wire all the can together and than tie into the switch?
I have a basic understanding on how to accomplish this, but just need some clarification. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-18, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,037 Votes on 961 Posts
It would be easiest to connect to the switch. You could have one or two cables in there. Typically the power is run directly to the receptacle and then a switch line is run. You could turn the circuit off, pull the switch and receptacle out without disconnecting the wiring and let us know what you see.

Whether the power comes to the switch or to the receptacle.... we could tell you what to do.

You need to use the same size wiring as what the circuit is already wired in. You would drop a two wire w/gr cable down to the switch. It would go to the closest light. Then you wire from light to light.

You could also post pictures for us..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-24-18, 07:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I have a vague idea, but how do I connect all the LEDS Hi Hats together? Also, here is a picture of the switch that is in there. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 01-24-18, 07:48 AM
Received 67 Votes on 63 Posts
The first thing I would do is shut the power off to that circuit, and pull those conductors out and and straighten that mess out first, the next problem will be conductor fill for the box a new 14/2 maybe to many,at any rate the new cable for the lights the white will splice on to the existing whites in the box,the black will go to one side of the switch,the remaining terminal on the switch will be connected to the supply along with the black conductor going to the receptacle,pigtail the blacks so as to have only one conductor going to the switch.
Geo