Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Old junction box - fix it or leave it alone (pictures inside)

Old junction box - fix it or leave it alone (pictures inside)

Old 01-27-18, 05:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Old junction box - fix it or leave it alone (pictures inside)

Here is my dilemma.

I have an old outlet in my garage that is mounted on a wooden work bench. It's mounted above waist height. What's worse is, the work bench is stationary. It has front legs, but its back rests on the foundation wall of the garage (how bad is that? I know!). It's big and heavy and it's not something that moves easily but nevertheless, I wanted to kill that outlet, just remove it completely.

The other problem is obviously the exposed NMB cable at that height (although most of it is by the wall and is not reachable).

Anyways, as I was getting ready to remove the outlet, I opened the junction box it's connected to only to see things wrapped with electrical tape as well as some burn marks. Now before you get excited and tell me this is bad, take a close look at the ground wires in the second pictures. To me it looks like they were soldered. I believe soldering is the only exception to using electrical tape and the burn marks on the neutrals could be because of this.

So the question is, should I leave this box alone (I was going to replace the box with a 4-11/16" oversize box and clean everything up as I remove the connection to the bad outlet). And if the answer is yes, what do I do with the bad outlet? Moving the outlet to somewhere else is not an option as that would require brand new cable and as you can see this junction box being soldered will make it difficult to re-do things.

There is absolutely no slack, nada, zero, on any of the cables going to the junction box. I dont know if there is enough conductor inside if I cut them off from the soldering points.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-18, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 736 Votes on 691 Posts
What's under the tape...... more soldered connections ?
The ground wire that goes thru the connector to the clamp screw
needs to connect to the other three ground wires.

Old 01-27-18, 05:56 PM
D
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
What's under the tape...... more soldered connections ?
The ground wire that goes thru the connector to the clamp screw
needs to connect to the other three ground wires.
Honestly I m afraid to touch it Should I open it? If I do open it, can I wrap it back with a regular electrical tape or do I need a different kind (the one thats there doesnt feel like the standard GE ones homedepot sells, it feels like its thicker).

Reality is, this circuit used to run my car lift (15A run, 21A start up, plus gas dryer (6A), plus lights, plus my master blaster (18A)). Now all of the high loads have their own circuits (except the 6A dryer). This is a 20A circuit and all it has is my LED lights (about 2A total) plus 6A dryer and whatever I might be running the outlets (iphone charger, my $30 vacuum cleaner, etc).

I just dont know if those burn marks are because of bad conductivity or its because of soldering.

Old 01-27-18, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Tape is not enough for a splice. Just use good quality wire nuts. I would check the connections and add new wire nuts and a blank cover.

Old 01-28-18, 05:16 PM
D
Everything is soldered. I decided to leave everything as is. There is no way to salvage any of the wires and there is no slack on the cables. its not worth it.

Old 01-29-18, 04:23 AM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Your call to leave it,but if that box is accessible can you pull cables out on one side and install a new box further back and extend the cables back to the old box and clean up that mess.
Geo