EMT Raintight Connections

Old 01-28-18, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EMT Raintight Connections

Evening all,

I need to run a circuit to an a/c disconnect on the side of my house. I have conduit running on the ceiling and then need to take it through the wall and down the outside of my house to a disconnect.

If you look at the drawing below, I am wondering if the connection between the emt nipple and the LB is raintight. You can see a picture of what I have on hand below the drawing.

If you happen to notice anything incorrect in the drawing I'd love to know that as well

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-18, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Yes.... the threaded nipple to the LB is considered raintight.

Old 01-29-18, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Yes.... the threaded nipple to the LB is considered raintight.
Thanks. Do you see any issue running EMT on the outside or should I use PVC?

Old 01-29-18, 09:16 AM
T
Received 40 Votes on 39 Posts
EMT above grade is ok.
Not sure I see a good reason, though for the single plece of PVC in your proposal. That exact el is avail in metal, which makes the entire run bonded. Now, you MUST use a grounding conductor.
And, you DON'T want a pvc el on both ends on EMT, because you would have a floated wireway of ungrounded metal, even with a grounding conductor used.

Old 01-29-18, 10:39 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Have you thought about avoiding the issue entirely by running the conduit down the inside of the garage wall and into the back of the AC disconnect?

Old 01-29-18, 11:00 AM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
If you happen to notice anything incorrect in the drawing I'd love to know that as well

What you are calling an "EMT Coupler" is a galvanized rigid coupling. What you call "Threaded EMT Nipple" Is a galvanized rigid conduit nipple, EMT conduit cannot be threaded.

Old 01-29-18, 02:47 PM
W
Sorry to threadjack. If I am not using threaded pipe to insert into the EMT LB (Conduit Body), what are my options for connecting EMT to the conduit body for an outdoors application where I need it to be watertight? I see watertight compression connectors, but they look to thread into boxes and have a backing ring applied. Can I just remove the backring and thread that directly into the conduit body?

Thanks for any help - Wil

Old 01-29-18, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Yes.... you don't need to use the locknut when you use the connector in a threaded fitting. If you need a 100% weather seal.... use a little pipe dope on the threads before putting it into the fitting.

Old 01-30-18, 05:53 AM
A
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
YesHaveSome just curious. Maybe you do know this already but just figured I would mention it.

What type of conductors are you running from the inside to the outside and into the disconnect for the A/C? I know your question did not ask this but it is important to know for sure if you used the properly rated conductors for use inside conduit.