Anyone using silicone caps?

Old 01-29-18, 05:45 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone using silicone caps?

I was reading something about those: "silicone caps are also great for electrical insulation"...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-18, 09:52 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
For electrical use? Nope. I've never seen one UL listed for making connections. I'd imagine they wouldn't be since all electrical connections need to be both physical (so they don't pull apart) and electrical.

I've used them on the ends of wire shelving though

Old 01-29-18, 01:39 PM
E
Yeah, they say those have "100's of uses around the home, shop, classroom, etc". Maybe if you have hundreds of shelves. Well, I'd think that electrical tape could be used around them for more of a physical connection, and to protect from poking. Just as tape may be used to secure wire nuts better. I don't think everything has to be listed, from topics I've read, some things do, and the rest should be suitable for their environment. Silicone is listed as an electrical wire insulation though, in general.

To me it's a matter of using them appropriately. For example, split bolts are listed for making connections, although they are not insulated. So they could be misused without adding something like that around them, just as a cap may be misused without adding tape around it. There's also silicone tape made for electrical use. I haven't tried it though. It seems the distinction to be made with listings is that if something is listed, it should be used in accordance with that. If not, it should be suitable for how it is being used.

Just another option to me. There are things made for specific tasks already, but they don't have as many uses otherwise. Electrical tape is one thing that has various uses, and silicone caps could too.

Last edited by electrialdocius; 01-29-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
Those are silicone ? They look more like PVC caps.
Mostly used to block vacuum ports and other menial tasks.
I don't really see how they can be used in electrical.

If tape is needed to secure a wirenut.... the connection is not properly made.

I guess they could be used on the bolt of a split bug but that's what the rubber and black tape is for. Even if you use a cap.... tape is still needed.

Old 01-29-18, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
You might be able to slide them over something, but can't think of a connector that would fit.

Old 01-29-18, 09:52 PM
E
I'm not saying you have to tape a wire nut, just that it may be put on there too (one of those tips from a book I think). Same goes for caps, but for those to fit tightly they would most likely get poked through in trying to wrestle them on, so I'd cut slightly oversized ones to shape and use tape, depending on what it was going over (they aren't usually taped onto shelving). I don't have a 1001 uses in mind for this stuff, but electrical was mentioned, so I think it's somewhat useful for this too, if not all that common.

Looking at a more common use of silicone for insulated wires, some of the reasons they list could also be reasons to use caps made of the same thing. The water resistant wire nuts use a silicone gasket too. I'd imagine that a cap could be slipped over the whole wire nut for that matter.

Last edited by electrialdocius; 01-29-18 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What everyone is saying is that electrical tape on a properly done wire nut makes it look like hack work and an inspector would probably want it removed just to see that the nut was installed correctly. Same with the silicon caps, they aren't rated or required and he'd probably want them all taken off. No manufacturer recommends wrapping nuts with anything and code doesn't require it.

I might put these on the ends of dowels for some reason, or on to some tool, or maybe to seal up some low voltage connection from the weather...but I sure can't see any use for them in house wiring.

Old 01-30-18, 05:37 AM
E
A properly done wire nut. This discussion is beyond me. I was just using that as an example, but it's like 'we won't let you use that example', okay fine, there can be no examples. Anyway, as long as nobody is arguing against silicone as an insulating material, then whatever.

Last edited by electrialdocius; 01-30-18 at 07:08 AM.