Identifying circuit breakers

Old 01-29-18, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Identifying circuit breakers

Hey all! I recently bought my first house (it was built in 1988), and in the interest of safety I wanted to check if my breaker is up to par. However, there are no labels on the breakers, so I'm not even sure how to look them up. I have attached a few pics, I'm mainly wondering 1) what type of breaker would I buy if I have to replace one? and 2) are these breakers due for an update or do they look fine? They are 30 years old. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Marc

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-18, 06:42 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It's a Cutler-Hammer type CH panel, currently made by Eaton. The breakers are widely available should you need to get more.

The exterior looks fine, and barring any internal damage there would be no need to replace them. I think CH of that vintage has a lifetime warranty, it is/was a premium brand.

As far as mapping out your circuits, it's a mostly tedious task. Get something like a radio turned up loud so you can hear it through the house. Plug it in to a receptacle and start flipping off breakers until the sound goes away. Make a detailed map as you go and eventually you'll get them all. The double-pole breakers will feed large appliances like your stove, oven, water heater, dryer, air cond. which you can also do the process-of-elimination to identify which feeds which.

Old 01-30-18, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As far as mapping out your circuits, it's a mostly tedious task.

They look fairly well mapped out already to me, although that part of the image is cut off. By "labels" I'm guessing he meant a sticker from the manufacturer on the breakers.

777arc- I'm assuming you have already looked under that piece of paper on the left side to see if there was an original sticker underneath it. When it's taped to the door only on the top like that, it's so you can still look underneath it. The other way you could have determined the breaker type is to pull one out of the panel and examine markings on the sides.

Old 01-31-18, 06:29 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
I wanted to check if my breaker is up to par

Up to par? Definitely! That high quality panel has silver plated copper bus and carries a lifetime warranty. The breakers have the same warranty. Good equipment!