Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electrical panel - Insurance

NY

02-07-18, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Electrical panel - Insurance

Anyone out there that can give me an opinion on my current electrical panel and wiring...
Wondering if this will be acceptable for insuring and insurance purposes?

Sponsored Links

PA

02-07-18, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Depends on insurance company and location. Most don't care when issuing policy. Some inspect and won't issue policy for house with panel that still has fuses. Sometimes aluminum wire is an issue. Some use scare tactics saying won't pay if fire due to known electrical issues.

Post a picture of what you are concerned about.

NY

02-07-18, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Here's a photo of the behind the panel. Figure because they are breakers, it should pass insurance purposes.

Attached Images

NH

02-07-18, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Hi, sure looks like FPE equipment,doesn’t have the best safety record, couldn’t say if it would be an insurance concern.
Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

PA

02-07-18, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Most insurance companies only focus on knob and tube wiring, or fuses. Some have issues with one, others have issues with both, and some insurance companies abide by a "don't ask don't tell" kind of policy.

As Geochurchi mentioned, based on the red-handled breakers, it looks like it could be an FPE Stab-Lok panel. These were recalled years ago and are well-known to not trip when needed. Most insurance companies won't ask or know about them - but it's highly recommended that they get replaced sooner rather than later.

Does the label on the panel state the manufacturer?

https://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE_Stab_Lok_Hazards.php

Good luck... what's the worst that can happen?

NY

02-07-18, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)  
The panel cover is a Federal Pacific Electric stab lok

PA

02-08-18, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Federal Pacific

My opinion - have a new panel installed and sleep better at night. Not just a matter of insurance issues but safety for you and your family.

MO

02-08-18, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Some insurance companies will make you replace the old FPE panel. If it were mine I'd change it as soon as I could possibly afford to.

Forum Topic Moderator

MD

02-08-18, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Do yourself a favor and replace that panel . It is old and had a poor design for breakers mounting to the bus.

TN

02-08-18, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)  
As one wag wrote: "Federal Pacific panels don't need to be inspected; they need to be replaced."

I usually discount a recommendation to replace when the one doing the recommending will also be doing the replacing. But FPE panels aren't usual in my view. Issues with the panel design and fraudulent breaker listings.

The panel is a dog and that dog is foaming at the mouth. Put yourself out of its misery.

PA

02-08-18, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)  
And it does not matter what the model number is or the year it was installed or how well it was installed

Just replace it when you can possibly afford it. This is a high priority!!

If you have not read (from the link from Zorfdt) yet do it very quickly. Remember, we are not out to make a buck on changing this out.

The way you stated your original question makes me think you just bought the house or for some reason had the house and did not have home owners insurance. Or you had it and it was canceled due to maybe this panel.

If you just bought the house and you had a Home Inspection done prior to purchasing the house and it was not reported on the report that was given to you call that home inspection company back NOW and insist they give you a refund of the money you spent on the report. You have a limited amount of time for this. The report should have definitely noted that the panel needed replacement or some mention of it in the report. This is not new news!

PA

02-08-18, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)  
Unfortunately there was never a recall on the panel so a home inspector could recommend replacement but is not mandated.

Statistics are that you have a breaker in your panel that will not trip when it needs to. That would directly contribute to a fire.

https://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE_St...rd_Summary.php

Search this Thread