Putting in a ceiling light... got a few Q's

Old 02-09-18, 09:08 AM
Putting in a ceiling light... got a few Q's

I'm installing a ceiling light in a small room. There is an existing ceiling box that had previoulsy held a fan. The wires there (black, white and ground) are always hot. There is a switch by the door into the room which switches an outlet.

I'd like to have the switch by the door control the light.

Intercepting the wire from the switch to the outlet will be very difficult.

What are my options?

I was wondering if there is a wireless switch that would control a device in the ceiling box and switch the light. Is there such a thing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-18, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are a variety of wireless switch devices you can use. Everything from simple RF switches to Internet connect smart bulbs. If you look around a bit at home automation devices I'm sure you'll find something that will work.

Old 02-09-18, 12:03 PM
Thanks, a quick scan of my local home improvement store's website doesn't really show me what i'm looking for. I'll keep loooking

Old 02-09-18, 02:20 PM
I had to do this in four of my rooms in my house when I first moved in. What you need to do is determine where the power enters the circuit, either at the light or the switch. From there you can determine what you must do to switch the light and maintain power to the outlet.

Unfortunately I have no memory of how I did this unless I was to actually get into it again . I mention this only because it can be done and it's not hard. Others here are experts and will guide you through the process.

Old 02-09-18, 04:53 PM
Thanks Norm, i have tried to figure out how the wires are run - no real success. I could figure it out if i start ripping out drywall and ceiling, but i really don't want to go down that road. Hence the thought of doing something wirelessly...

Old 02-10-18, 04:15 AM
Are these lights on a second floor or first floor? Do you have access above or below the fixtures? In my case it was 2nd floor bedrooms and I was able to run new wiring over the room,s via the attic crawl space. If in the basement you could run new wiring from below and fish up through the wall. Not that hard but a bit of work and tedious. Figuring out where the power enters (switch or light) is not hard using a VOM or light tester.

Old 02-10-18, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could use a toner to follow the wiring in the walls and ceiling.

Old 02-10-18, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. It's really tough to get to the wiring. The room is on the main floor and the second floor is finished, covering the ceiling of the room i'm working on. The wall where the switch is located is an interior wall and will be very hard to trace. I could use a toner or tester to locate wires, but even then it will be hard to fish the wires where they need to go.

It seems that a lot of the home automation gear is directed to using a remote or your smart phone to control various lights and outlets. I just want to walk in the room, flip a switch and have the light come on. Hmmmm, maybe if such a device doesn't exist i should develop one, patent it and make my millions...

Old 02-12-18, 04:55 AM
Is there a closet wall behind the switch location?
Geo

Old 02-12-18, 07:36 AM
Good idea, but sadly, no.

I could simply install a pull cord switch in the light fixture, but i hate pull cords!

Old 02-12-18, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 02-12-18, 08:42 AM
Wow, that's it! Thanks, ibpooks. I don't know why i didn't check amazon... Thank you.

Old 02-12-18, 09:55 AM
I don't mean to rain on your parade but at that expense I would think twice. They don't last a long time. If they run off your Internet then every ougsgd it won't work. Even if they don't they will still breakdown. I've used them and although I like them I would not use them as my main switch system.

Old 02-12-18, 10:08 AM
The closet would have been a point to fish from the wall switch to the light fixture.
Geo

Old 02-12-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Those use a self generated wireless frequency to communicate.
No internet involved.

Old 02-13-18, 04:20 AM
Those use a self generated wireless frequency to communicate.
No internet involved.
That's good! But again they will break down. Even an ordinary switch will fail. I have several Lutron electronic wall switches and they have failed. At about $35 a shot it's not so bad, but at $1?? a shot, I don't think so. I would rather go through the expense and effort to hard wire the light and switch and then only spend under $5 to replace when it fails. But that's just me.

Old 02-13-18, 04:47 AM
Well, i guess i'll find out, got one on order. Absolutely hard wired would be best, but very difficult to do and this seems to be a reasonable workaround.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 02-13-18, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used those wireless switches before, in fact just pulled an old one out of a customer house they didn't want anymore and added it to the "misc" box in my truck a week or two ago. They work pretty well, mostly like a regular light switch. There's a slight delay between the switch flip and the light turn on, but you'll get used to it. It also will occasionally miss the signal and you'll have to flip it off-on again, but for they most part they work just like a regular switch.